pole recomendations for finesse plastics

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

KoaisAOK
angler level

pole recomendations for finesse plastics

Postby KoaisAOK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:28 pm

im thinking i might pick up a 7 foot once piece scimitar for 34 bucks

its the stiffest pole i seen in the price range, that might work good with finesse worms and drop shotting, and was very similar to much more expensive poles for that type of fishing

anyone have any experience with them?
would anyone recommend any other pole within the 30 dollar range for finesse fishing?
Last edited by KoaisAOK on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:49 pm

I would RUN away from that Scimitar if I were you! There's a reason why you only see those in places like Wal-Mart, Sports Authority, etc.. If you think they feel as good or better than more expensive rods, then you need to really go to a good shop and check out some good rods. The Scimitar to me, feels even cheaper than what it is, IMO.
Also, when I have been bank fishing at the lake, I have found 3 of those rods broken and left as trash.
They have regular aluminum oxide guides that are heavy enough to mess up the rod's action. The rods are heavy and from the way they feel, it's obvious that they contain a lot of fiberglass which kills sensitivity. They have the old foam grips (not the new lightweight type) that are heavier than cork.
If you can spend about $10 more, you can get a Shimano Convergence which is a much better rod and has a lifetime warranty.
Or you can get a Berkley Lightning Rod which is a lot lighter and has a great action. I've seen those at Roy's.
I know times are tough, but if you can possibly spend a little more for your rod, I know it will pay off in the long run because you will enjoy fishing with it much more. I think the rod is the one piece of equipment that you can't afford to skimp on, even more so than the reel. I don't follow my own advice because I have all expensive reels and just a few high-end rods, but I'm working on it. Hehe!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

KoaisAOK
angler level

Postby KoaisAOK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:17 pm

i just want cheep because i love to abuse stuff, one reason why i LOVE my Penn 420ss(with new pimpness line roller) i climbed the cliffs downstream of wailua falls with it (with my friend Telly) throwing it up in the the trees then climbing up to it, Repeat 50 times until your at the road :lol:

so at 30 i wouldnt cry if i broke it, but that pole you talked about with its Lifetime Warranty is looking guud

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:01 am

Sounds like you may need a Ugly Stick. I've had all mines (4 total) for probably over 20 years and they are still going strong after all the years of abuse I threw at them, they are indestructible, maybe not the most sensitive but indestructible. :wink:

KoaisAOK
angler level

Postby KoaisAOK » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:57 am

yeah way too flexible for me, im looking for something very rigid and good for finessing plastics

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:07 am

I remembered these BPS Graphite Series rods
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_100-2-2
I have one myself, the 6'6" Med. I got it on sale for $19.99 Pretty good rod for the price. Wayyy better than the Scimitar anyway.
Also,
Fenwick Eagle GT
Daiwa Exceler
Cabela's Classic, Gold Label, and Pro Guide

The Convergence rods I mentioned earlier are available for special order from Charlie's Fishing Supply. They don't charge extra for special orders.
Good luck with your search and please update us on your purchase.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

KoaisAOK
angler level

Postby KoaisAOK » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:36 pm

well i gotta check out that convergence first.......im still not to knowledgeable about finesse poles so just by checking them all out i get a better idea what i want

KoaisAOK
angler level

Postby KoaisAOK » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:21 pm

ah geez now im flabbergasted in what i should be looking for

what you all say if i was looking for a pole good for finesse fishing plastics
something on the ridgid side, not flexible
thick handle by the reel, like a shimano somethingsomething ill get name later
can be used for shoreline papio & moi
can also use crank baits and spinner baits well

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:42 pm

Late to the post but just wanted to say that in my opinion 7ft is too big for finesse plastics. Your best bet is around 6' to 6'6". I use a 6'6" for drop shotting, a 6ft for senko(the big ones rigged wacky style), I use the same 6fter for other soft plastics like bass assassins, and I use a 5 1/2 footer for texas rigs(Don Ivino Doodlin' rod, best tex rig rod ever but I don't think they make em anymore). If I could pick on rod to use for any bass fishing situation it would probably be a 6ft. Hope this helps.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:47 pm

I was in Brians Fishing Supply today and mentioned some guys were looking for rods. He has brought in some freshwater gear... and long one piece freshwater rods... It isn't often we here in Hawaii can actually hold a rod before we buy it.... LOL He has a nice selection.

Brian's Fishing Supply
1236 S. King St. Honolulu
(808) 596-8344
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

KoaisAOK
angler level

Postby KoaisAOK » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:05 pm

cool, but im looking for something that can do fresh and salt water, but what are the differences between those 2 kinds of poles?

again i do not know so much

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:16 pm

Go down and visit Brian. He can help you figure out what rod you need depending on the line test, the type and size reel. the lure size and style, the kind of fish your after, and cost. :?

Simple isn't it?
:lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

KoaisAOK
angler level

Postby KoaisAOK » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:57 am

well not as simple are getting info from the internet

does he do email?

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

freshwater and saltwater poles

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:58 am

Since I can not afford to buy a lot of poles and reels, my tackle has to be versitile. You can use "freshwater" rods for ocean use. I even use freshwater lures in the ocean.

KoaisAOK
angler level

Postby KoaisAOK » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:39 am

yeah i caught the biggest Ulua(biggest Papio) i ever caught with a rooster tail

Return to “General Discussion”