kauai rainbows

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Boatless
King Sushi level

kauai rainbows

Postby Boatless » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:43 am

Quite a few people have told me that there is a population of "wild" rainbow trout in kauai streams. Kinda like "escapees" of the breeding program that they release in the reservoir. Any truth to this??

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:52 pm

They were released in the high mountain streems of Kokee state park.

The open season use to be in August, but since the yearround school now they changed it.

There are some big trout... in the streams and in the lake. I understand the water is not cold enough for the trout to spawn... but I've also been told that some fish have spawned.

The free, Hawaii fishing rule book tells all about it.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

KoaisAOK
angler level

Postby KoaisAOK » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:35 am

i was told by DLNR old timers back in the mid 80s that they used to air drop rainbows by helicopter into some other hard to reach areas hoping for them to grab hold. It was stopped when they realized more died by dropping them. i was told that it was the humane society or some internal org that got it stopped, it would be interesting if there are records.

Those areas might still have some, in the 90s friends were catching rainbows in those spots, then my dad caught a pretty big one up stream from there right before the water fall, but since then nothing has popped up.

oh also in streams there are a lot by the feeders, i also heard they stopped stocking the steams and only the reservoir, but this was pre 2000 when i was told they stopped, maybe it resumed, but i doubt it

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:42 am

There is some kind of study about trout eating the endangered blue damsel fly or some kind of bug in the streams. One of the head guys at Aquatic Resources loves the bugs and hates the trout... I think TU did a study also.

I remember years ago they were back packing trout into back country streams. That worked very well.

There was also some talk about making Catch and Release trout fishing available on Kauai all the time. The Catch and Keep days would remain the same. They figured the tourism of C&C would bring a lot of needed money into Kauai..... A big problem is poachers with nets... even now.

KoaisAOK
angler level

Postby KoaisAOK » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:00 pm

Stan Wright wrote:There is some kind of study about trout eating the endangered blue damsel fly or some kind of bug in the streams. One of the head guys at Aquatic Resources loves the bugs and hates the trout.

nothing wrong with loving endangered species over an introduced species

Stan Wright wrote:There was also some talk about making Catch and Release trout fishing available on Kauai all the time. The Catch and Keep days would remain the same. They figured the tourism of C&C would bring a lot of needed money into Kauai..... A big problem is poachers with nets... even now.
isnt trout fishing year round this year because of the reservoir water pump being broken? just cant use barbed hooks or treble hooks.

and yeah hate those poachers with clorox

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:28 pm

I contacted my friend and long time fishing partner for his ideas. You've probably seen Glenn on TV over the years when the subject is trout fishing on Kauai. If anyone knows what's going on, it's him.

Howzit, Stan!

I don't have the exact dates, but my recollection is that there was a federal ban against the State planting any trout in the streams of Kokee because of the argument that the nymph of an endangered damselfly (like a small dragonfly) lived in the sediment at the bottom of the streams and were prey to the trout. I believe that this ban occurred around 1990, but I'm not sure. Since that time, the State has not planted trout in any of the streams whether by volunteers backpacking them in or by air-drop from helicopters.

In an effort to get the ban lifted, I believe that Trout Unlimited commissioned a study of the damselfly in Kokee by a staff member of the Bishop Museum. That study (again, I only have second- or third-hand information) revealed that the nymph of the damselfly did not live in the stream, but lived under the moss on the banks of the stream where water run-off occurred. The conclusion was that the introduced trout were not a threat to the damselfly. I have no idea of what became of the study or if it was used to present a case for the removal of the ban.

My argument against the ban was plain common sense. The history of trout in Kokee goes all the way back to 1898 with the attempted implantation of brook trout. Except for the years of World War II, rainbow trout have been planted in Kokee every year from 1920 until the federal ban. If you were to visit the streams of Kokee, you will find that the damselflies are in abundance. Clearly, after over a 100 years of trout implantation, the damselflies are not endangered by the trout. Therefore, I personally feel that the federal ban is not needed to protect the damselflies.

As for the proposal to re-introduce trout to the streams and make them catch-and-release only, I think it's a noble idea, but, ultimately, it's an idea that is impractical.

The purpose of catch-and-release, anywhere, is to ensure the continued supply of trout by maintaining a brood stock. But, the streams of Kokee are too warm for the trout to reproduce. Any icthyologist will tell you that in order for the trout to spawn successfully, there is a critical period of 10 consecutive days (from the time the eggs are laid) that the water temperature cannot exceed 60 degrees Fahrenheit, otherwise the eggs will die. At Kokee, the water temperatures during the spawning season rarely get below the mid-60's. Water temperatures do get somewhat cooler during the winter months, but the days are too short to trigger the spawning instinct in the trout.

Still, there are examples of marginal, successful spawning, notably in Kokee and Kauaikinana Streams whose waters are perpetually shaded and do not have any large pools in which the waters may warm. There is also marginal reproduction in the very remote Waialae Stream, which is the largest of the Kokee streams in terms of water volume. Some of it's deep, dark, shaded pools have temperatures cool enough for occasional successful spawning.

The life span of a rainbow trout is anywhere from three to five years, with the majority being no longer than four years. So, with no reproduction in the larger streams, and only very marginal reproduction in the small, unfishable streams (brooks, really), any trout population would soon disappear if the State didn't do any planting. And, if planting is required to maintain a population, then the purpose of catch-and-release fishing is useless and meaningless.

I should also point out that during the years before the federal ban, when trout were planted every year, there were lots of trout caught in the streams that were three to four pounds with the occasional trophy going close to six pounds. The data will show that the weight of the average trout caught in the streams was considerably larger than trout caught in Puu Loa Reservoir during those years. So, the argument of having catch-and-release to produce trophy trout doesn't hold water either (I apologize for the bad pun). And, again, with a life span of only four years, big trout are not going to "hang around" anyway. The streams need to be restocked and the population replenished to maintain a healthy, viable trout fishery in the Kokee streams.

And, yes, there ARE still trout poachers in Kokee! They are mostly netting trout in the ditches leading to Puu Loa Reservoir. The DLNR used to stock about 1,500 trout every year in the ditches, and many of them grew to very large size. Then, about a week or two before the season opened, the fish would all disappear, and the fisheries staff would find traces of scrape marks along the ditch walls with trout scales scattered all over. A few fish caught later on would also show scars from nets. Pretty sad when an inconsiderate IDIOT has to net trout, basically, in a barrel! And, there's really not a commercial market for trout either. They're just doing it because they're greedy! Don't know what else I can say about that.

I hope these are the kinds of comments you were looking for! Just remember that this is my own personal opinions as a long-time trout fisherman, and not in any way affiliated with that of the Divison of Aquatic Resources, DLNR. If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Am off to Alaska in a couple of days! Wish me luck!

Good fishing,
Glenn

KoaisAOK
angler level

Postby KoaisAOK » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:10 pm

Stan Wright wrote:the nymph of the damselfly did not live in the stream, but lived under the moss on the banks of the stream where water run-off occurred. The conclusion was that the introduced trout were not a threat to the damselfly. I have no idea of what became of the study or if it was used to present a case for the removal of the ban.

My argument against the ban was plain common sense. The history of trout in Kokee goes all the way back to 1898 with the attempted implantation of brook trout. Except for the years of World War II, rainbow trout have been planted in Kokee every year from 1920 until the federal ban. If you were to visit the streams of Kokee, you will find that the damselflies are in abundance. Clearly, after over a 100 years of trout implantation, the damselflies are not endangered by the trout. Therefore, I personally feel that the federal ban is not needed to protect the damselflies.

i would like to see that study, any others pertaining to the damselfly, and also for O`opu and Opae

then also if the introduction of the trout goes back to 1898(wow) then we cannot say that today there is a lot of damselflies, we would need to know how many were alive 110 years ago, which would be very difficult.

but...with DLNR receiving only 1% of the whole budget i doubt any study would happen

but this also gets to another point, if the damselfly is not affected by trout, then why the ban on stocking trout? I went to a couple public meetings with the DLNR about parking, and they kept saying they needed funds because of only receiving 1%, i think this is more about money than anything.

what would need to happen for DLNR to get 2%, and what would happen then? would things actually work better?

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:14 pm

Stan,
Is that Glenn Ikemoto who wrote that reply? I remember seeing him on TV and reading his articles from when I was a kid. Seemed like a great fisherman and great guy.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:32 am

Yea, that's Glenn. we've fished together for over 30 years. If it swims, he's caught it. LOL
Stan

Crash
King Sushi level

Here's what I have to offer....

Postby Crash » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:32 pm

Interesting study that touches on trout feeding on the damselfly, but mostly a report on natural trout reproduction/catch and release possibilities in Kokee.

http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/pdf/kokee.pdf

This link is almost 3 years old, but should at least offer some good info. Sounds fun anyways.

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/art ... i,+Hawaii/
Crash

Return to “General Discussion”