Sewage Outfall Question

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Sewage Outfall Question

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun May 04, 2008 11:10 pm

As strange as this may sound in the past one of my favorite places to fish on the Lake was at the C&C sewage outfall inspite of the chlorine smell because there underneath all thousands of Tilapia that were sucking in the effluent lurks sizable Largemouth Bass. I used to troll my small gold Rapala Ratlin' Raps around in circle just outside the outfall and would consistantly hook into nice sized Largemouths. I was all looking forward to reaching there the last time I was in the Lake which was the first time in over 12 years I fished the Lake on a boat but the outfall was not flowing, and what once was a gurgling brook of treated sewage was now dry and overgrown with grass. Is this outfall now permanently shut down? As smelly as it was it did produce bass for me. MAHALO, Ji

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:32 am

I dont know if I should think of that as a fond memory or the most disgusting Wilson story I have heard.

From what I understand there is a pipe underwater now and lets the water out in deeper water. No more Tilapia schools there.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon May 05, 2008 9:24 am

Your right about those big bass under the school of tilapia. I took a picture of Lance Glassier one day of him holding 10 largemouth and not a one was under 5 pounds. That was in the mid 1970s.

You can still smell that same smell in the area around the outfall. Several years ago a big pipe was installed to take the outfall out into the middle of the lake in deep water. If you look close you'll see the pipe in the back of that cove just to the north (left) of the old outfall. (the chain-link fenced off pipe)

When US Congressman, Ed Case was in office, he tried to get a pipeline built from Waheawa sewage plant down to link up to the Sand Island Plant. Stop dumping into the lake...... I don't know who killed that idea.
(I have been told that the water being pumped into the lake is cleaner than the water already in the lake... honest.)

I bet if you dropped a big old live crawdad down out there in the middle of the lake where the outfall pipe ends.... you'd catch something.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue May 06, 2008 12:29 am

MAHALO for the info guys, I also remember a smaller outfall on the North Fork towards Whitmore Village almost a waterfall if I recall and also with Tilapia, is that one still there?

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Fri May 30, 2008 6:17 am

Ahnkochee wrote:MAHALO for the info guys, I also remember a smaller outfall on the North Fork towards Whitmore Village almost a waterfall if I recall and also with Tilapia, is that one still there?

I don't know, but that's where I used to fish almost every weekend when I was a kid. Caught a lot of bass and catfish over there. Nowadays, there's no trail so I can't go anymore. I won the Tilapia Derby in 1985 by fishing there and then transporting my catch via TheBus to Kemoo Farms for the weigh-in! Good Times!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri May 30, 2008 6:26 am

I remember those tournaments. Thousands and thousands of tilapias were hauled in. Stringers of fish longer that a person was tall. Whitmore Village out fall isn't there any more. The fish were so thick you could hardly drive the boat through there. I think that may have been one of the reasons for the tournament.... to get rid of the tilapias. (now we need more tilapia to feed the bass)

Wish I still had some of those pictures from back then.
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri May 30, 2008 6:44 am

There's a simple solution to that...recreate the sewage outfall :twisted:

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri May 30, 2008 6:46 am

Hey Stan...just wondering...

Is the Ala Wai brackish? You think the peacock can survive in brackish water? There are lots of tilapia in the Ala Wai :roll:

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:24 am

Ken wrote:Hey Stan...just wondering...

Is the Ala Wai brackish? You think the peacock can survive in brackish water? There are lots of tilapia in the Ala Wai :roll:

Not Stan but nope Tucs are strictly freshwater and the Ala Wai is on the saltier side of brackish due to direct tidal influence and low stream flow. What would be cool is if they brought over a couple thousand Snook and Tarpon fingerlings from Florida and let them go In Kaneohe Bay and Pearl Harbor, and sure why not a few in the Ala Wai canal too, I can dream can't I?

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:16 am

Ahnkochee wrote:
Ken wrote:Hey Stan...just wondering...

Not Stan but nope Tucs are strictly freshwater and the Ala Wai is on the saltier side of brackish due to direct tidal influence and low stream flow. What would be cool is if they brought over a couple thousand Snook and Tarpon fingerlings from Florida and let them go In Kaneohe Bay and Pearl Harbor, and sure why not a few in the Ala Wai canal too, I can dream can't I?

I'm dreaming with you at the same time...don't forget the red drum, permit and jack crevalle :lol:

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:43 pm

The numerous mangroves growing in both Kaneohe Bay, and Pearl Harbor is the perfect nursery environment for Snook & Tarpon to grow, sheesh if they released some into Kaelepulu Pond (Enchanted Lake) where I live I'd be ecstatic.

Return to “General Discussion”