Finally caught something!

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

skunked
King Sushi level

Finally caught something!

Postby skunked » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:47 am

I finally caught a tuc behind my dad's house on the south fork. Too bad I couldn't get the bigger ones I saw to bite. I need to get some live bait.
3" BPS finesse stick-o, white (imitation senko)
6'6" shimano compre ML
shimano curado 100D baitcast reel
8lb Trilene XL
I couldn't believe how easy I could cast this weightless worm on a baitcast outfit. I hardly ever use my spinning gear anymore. A lot more fun as well as being more accurate and challenging.
Here's an extra pic of a smallmouth I caught on Kauai
1/8oz black rooster tail spinner
5' Berkley Lightnin' Rod (soon to be replaced by an Airrus Co-Matrix)
shimano sedona 1500FB spinning reel(soon to be replaced by Daiwa Capricorn
4lb. P-Line fluoroclear (I love this line)
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

phunkyone808
angler level

Postby phunkyone808 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:45 pm

Right on.........cheeehwooooo.....

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:18 pm

I went out today for the first time, all around the boat launch. Saw lots of tucs surfacing, and some red devils in the brush, but couldn't get any thing to hit the rapala's I was using.

Talked to people coming in on boats and seems it was a slow day, live bait was the way to go. I'm going out again next weekend and I'll be sure to bring some live bait.

tucmaster
master baiter level

Finally Caught Something!

Postby tucmaster » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:02 pm

Way to go, Skunked!!! Nice bump-head! You have your spot, you have your technique, great job!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:45 pm

Thanks but the area behind my dad's house is only accessible when the water is pretty low. If the water level rises, I will be confined to a six foot stretch of weed covered bank! Sucks! I guess I'll have to hit that spot now while I can.

tucmaster
master baiter level

Finally Caught Something!

Postby tucmaster » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:30 pm

There may be a solution to your high water woes. As I've mentioned before, I believe that high water and California grass equals good holding cover for tucs. Based on your description, you might want to consider creating your own high-water fishing spot right there behind your dad's house.

Get a sickle, machete or weedwacker and cut or clear out a wide enough of a swath in the middle of the grass now, while the water level is down, so you can access the bank and fish the grass when the water level is high. Clear out an area large enough to comfortably fish in, leaving a good patch of grass on either side for the tucs to hunt prey/hide under when the water is up.

As for live bait, you ever see those small 4-inch banded jewel cichlids hiding in the grass and near logs? That's what the tucs are hunting in the grass. Dig up some earthworms, or get tiny feeder guppies from the pet store, and use those on tiny hooks - the jewel cichlids love 'em. But beware - cichlids love to run under grass or logs when you use 'em as live bait. You gotta cast the cichlids out away from the grass/logs or you'll get hung up.

Or, as suggested by others, just use those inexpensive feeder fish that you can buy from the pet store. Doesn't matter if they're regular minnows or those orange or black mollies - the tucs love 'em all.

You're off to a good start - keep it up. Good luck and good fishing.

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:48 pm

To rig live bait, what size hooks should I be using? And do you guys reccomend a bobber, weights, or just the bait and hook?

tucmaster
master baiter level

Postby tucmaster » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:27 pm

Modest_Man - Stan Wright has said that he uses a small #10 AH hook with his live bait. I would agree - you want to use a hook that's small enough so that the live bait acts/swims naturally. Most live baiters either free-line their bait (no weight or bobber), or add a small split shot to sink the bait to the bottom. Choosing the right presentation depends on if the tucs are agressive or not. If they show no fear, free-lining is fun - it's exciting to watch an agressive tuc attack your free-swimming bait. But if they're wary, go with the split shot - your line lays on the bottom and is less noticeable to the smarter tucs - they'll often pick up the live bait right off the bottom. Hope this helps. Good luck and good fishing. Tucmaster

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Nice catch

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:12 pm

Hey skunked, nice catch. Now you have to change your username. 8)

skunked
King Sushi level

Re: Nice catch

Postby skunked » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:45 pm

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN wrote:Hey skunked, nice catch. Now you have to change your username. 8)

Thanks, but 99% of the time, my name fits me! :cry:
I really want to catch some bass. You wouldn't believe how many baitcasting reels I have. They are pretty much worthless for anything other than bass fishing! I have 15 reels! In march, I am getting married in my fiance's hometown of Houston, TX. I plan to hire a guide for some bass action on world famous Lake Fork or maybe Sam Rayburn.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

congratulations

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:44 pm

Hey skunked, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Tucmaster, I have to do the opposite of what you suggested on the grass. Since the water is low I have to PLANT california grass since the dnlr killed a lot of the grass. I thought that stuff would be easy to grow, but I guess it needs a lot of water. I also have to clean up all the dead line certain live baiters lost while fishing. The line is like spider webs all over the bottom.

leoric
bass level

Postby leoric » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:23 pm

Congrats on your catch, skunked. :D

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:47 pm

Thanks, but now I am back to my usual bad luck. I went fishing near the ramp area today and saw several, but didn't catch any. I'm so angry at myself because I had a big hit on my lure about 8 feet in front of me but I was looking away at the time. The tuc made such a loud splash that I got startled and jerked the lure away from him. When I turned around to look at the commotion, I could barely see the faint form of the fish as it swam away. It was a pretty big one too. I tried following with another cast and then a different lure, but no strike.
Lesson learned: Concentrate and pay attention to your lure at all times!
I tried out my Daiwa Viento with the twitchin' bar for the first time today and was disappointed in the casting performance of this reel. Should be OK for bigger baits of 3/8th oz. and larger.

phunkyone808
angler level

Postby phunkyone808 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:22 pm

I went fishing saterday and caught nothing....but still had a great day.....seen everyone else catch a lot......
I use a 10 hook and just a bobber........that way I can watch my bait and see if something is chasing...it.
While I'm waiting for a strike...I useally catch jewels......with earthworms or tilapia minnows...
I see people use feeder comets..but I rather catch my bait....

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:18 am

Where do you get earthworms? I've tried a couple "tackle" places in Honolulu to no avail. Pretty dissapointing really in the quality/quantity of freshwater gear...

I'll be out there all day tomorrow!

Return to “General Discussion”