Observations of a fishing guide:

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Observations of a fishing guide:

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:00 pm

Here are a few things I have noticed over my many years as a fishing guide.

"How many fish can I expect to catch in a day?"...... is totally dependent on your casting ability..... and the weather.

Out in the boat fishing is NOT the time to learn how to cast.

An accurate cast is more important than a long cast.

Single hook lures rigged weedless don't hang up in trees as much as lures with two treble hooks. (see above)

Barbless hooks catch more fish and are easer to remove from the fishes mouth, your hat, your shirt, and your ear.

Long pants, long sleeve shirts, wide brim hats, and sunglasses protect your ears better than an application of sun tan oil. (see above)

When casting, always be aware of what is behind your client... they won't.

Re-spooling a fishing reel with expensive new line will almost always guarantee the next client to use it will be a beginner.

Cranking really fast on the handle of a spinning reel while the fish is taking out line will result in a twisted, tangled, kinked up fishing line.

Some "bird nests" in a reel are so tangled that only a pair of scissors will help.

When fishing with beginning anglers it's a good idea to have 2 or 3 rods rigged and ready to go..... per angler.

Sight fishing for spawning peacock bass is not as simple as most people tend to believe it is.

When site fishing for spawning peacock bass, you must be able to see the fish.

You can see the fish a lot better if you remember to bring your polarized sunglasses.

Locking down the drag on a fishing reel will result in broken line or bent hooks. (lost fish)

It's a good idea to frequently check (and loosen) the drag setting on the reel of most clients.

There is no such thing as a "fool-proof" fishing reel. (Fools can be very creative)

Women anglers listen to the advice given by the fishing guide.

Where skill is about even, women anglers will catch more fish. (see above)

Many beginning anglers, when hooked up to a fish, loose all hearing in both ears.

Any fishing rod laying in the bottom of the boat will be stepped on.

The more expensive the fishing rod, the more likely it will be laid down in the bottom of the boat.

Electric car windows and ceiling fans eat rod tips.

Fishing with live bait is not as simple as most people tend to believe that it is.

When using tilapia as live bait, they will always quickly swim into the thickest cover available.

After the live tilapia swims into the thick cover, it is usually quicker and easier to break the line and tie on another hook.

Always buy fish hooks in the 250 package size.

Learn how to tie one or two good knots....... and how to tie them quickly.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:01 pm

All true and very humourous.

Stan, are you trying to tell me something? :lol: I'm at fault with #1, #2 and #3...boy was it hard trying to learn to cast/pitch with a 10' salmon rod for the first time :roll: :oops: :lol: but you were a top guide in my book. :D

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:28 pm

The best thing is to just grin and enjoy your day on the water. :D
If it weren't for all of the above "fun adventures" :wink: we wouldn't have anything to laugh about when we get together to swap fish stories.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Crash
King Sushi level

Now that's just solid....

Postby Crash » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:50 pm

....especially the rod tips lost to ceiling fans and car windows. I've manage to do both.
Crash

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:53 pm

I think most of those are true, especially when it comes to female anglers. They really do follow instructions better than guys. They are more open minded. I have to remind myself not to offer advice to a guy who is not catching unless they ask. As for myself, I like to try new things so I like to listen.

I disagree with the barbless hook catching more fish. I tend to have more fish come off, especially the trophy size fish (had some heartbreakers). On the other hand, barbless hooks are much safer for the angler and the fish.

As far as the tilapia swimming into cover, I am not a livebait guy, but what if you cut off some of his fins. His motor will still work but without his propellers and rudder he will not go as fast.

lets go again
minnow level

super funny

Postby lets go again » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:04 am

just try to keep that aloha spirit pumpin threw ya viens!
the first...the biggest...and the most...

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:18 am

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN wrote:As far as the tilapia swimming into cover, I am not a livebait guy, but what if you cut off some of his fins. His motor will still work but without his propellers and rudder he will not go as fast.

Better watch out for PETA spies :lol:

It's true though. You can cut off just one pectorial fin and you'll see the bait swimming erratically (I guess they can't balance :lol: ). If you cut off the caudal fin, they likely won't be able to swim into the snags...but they would still be wiggling around like mad.

Cutting the fins off will cause them to die sooner...but if you can catch fish faster... :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”