Aloha all

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

OahuDave
bass level

Aloha all

Postby OahuDave » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:05 pm

Just a quick aloha to everyone out there. I wandered upon this forum while waiting for my fishing kayak to get here and looking for other options when I don't feel like going out into the big blue. I lived here in Oahu from 2002-2004, then moved to California where I got into lake and river fishing with my wife. We spent as many weekends as possibly driving from Sonora into the mountains looking for places to fish. We then moved to Colorado before finally moving back here to Oahu last April 2007.

Since I had the fishing bug I read and researched as much as I could about shorecasting here. Bought the gear, the books, the other junk and tried my luck. Not much action for me the last several months. We go to Mokuleia every other month and rent a house and fish all weekend. The weekend is fun, but the fishing has been horrible, same for all the guys fishing from the church camp. Our last outing was last month and after catching 0 fish after 4 days with a pole in the water 24/7 I gave up. My gear went into the closet, the backyard, the bushes.

Then last month I looked into buying a kayak just to start paddling again and figured maybe you can fish off of these things. After a quick google search I found out that you sure can and it looks pretty fun. So again I read and researched everything about fishing from these, bought new gear and a kayak. Now while waiting to get my kayak (bought from military guy getting shipped off island) I started thinking about the lake I see every day near our house. We live off Whitmore. Again a quick google and what do you know, you can fish there too. My gear isn't that great, but it's enough to get out and try my luck.

Ok, this is too long. :) Needless to say I am pretty excited about trying my luck on Wilson. I read through just about every thread here going way back and learned just about everything a guy could want to know about this cool lake. It's larger than I thought, it has way more fish than I thought and way more people fish it than I thought.

Stan it has been good emailing back and forth with you while we figured out my forum access and I appreciate all the information I gleaned from the threads and that you provided me. Hope to see some of you out on the lake and I will post up pics of what I catch. Most likely I will be asking. What the heck is this thing? Since most of these fish as new to me.

Mahalo for the great forum and the wealth of information,
Dave
Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao; pa`a ka waha.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:12 pm

HI and welcome. You live near Whitmore? Well, I live in Whitmore, so howdy neighbor! Good luck and have fun. Say hello if you see me out there at the lake. I'm the guy with the frustrated look due to not catching anything.
Blaine.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

OahuDave
bass level

Postby OahuDave » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:17 am

skunked wrote:HI and welcome. You live near Whitmore? Well, I live in Whitmore, so howdy neighbor! Good luck and have fun. Say hello if you see me out there at the lake. I'm the guy with the frustrated look due to not catching anything.
Blaine.

:)

I will be the tall haole guy out in a yellow Prowler 15 kayak from time to time, with exactly the same look. My maiden voyage on Wilson will be next Friday afternoon.

Going to try my lucky with some 4# line and probably a clear bubble with 4-6' leader to kastmaster or whatever else I feel like tossing on the end. I generally do not conform to the norm. I like experimenting, even at the expense of catching more fish. :)

We live off Whitmore on Kulia St.

Later,
Dave

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:40 am

I run the small Kastmaster straight to the line... no leader. On the bubble rig, try a single #10 or so size AH hook and a glitter strip or twister tail.

I bet if you trailed something like that behind the kayak while looking for the schooling fish you would get hit for sure.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

OahuDave
bass level

Postby OahuDave » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:12 pm

Stan Wright wrote:I run the small Kastmaster straight to the line... no leader. On the bubble rig, try a single #10 or so size AH hook and a glitter strip or twister tail.

I bet if you trailed something like that behind the kayak while looking for the schooling fish you would get hit for sure.

Ah ok, figured it would sink too much and snag. Figured the bottom was pretty messy in the lake. Also used to running the lures about 50'-75' behind the boat, so probably need to adjust that a little for Wilson. :)

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:49 pm

When I trail a live bait behind the boat it's 15 to 20 feet.. some times a little longer. Lots of guys use a wood floater and a leader with a fly or twister tail behind that. ... so a plastic bubble on or near the surface is fine, the splashing attracts the fish. Peacock bass are not leader shy or afraid of the boat.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “General Discussion”