Saltwater Fishing?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

David77733
angler level

Saltwater Fishing?

Postby David77733 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:13 pm

Where might a fellow go to get in on some good shore fishing around the north shore area? And what should I use for bait, what time of year?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:19 pm

Davis,

Check this site out... http://www.hanapaa.com/forum/index.php
I also meet a lot of shorefishermen at Brian's Fishing Supply on South King St.

I would also look into some of the shorefishing clubs on the island. They are always going on outings and it's a great way to meet people and learn the sport.
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Back before I discovered wilson and bonefish I used to do some shore fishing. Fresh shrimp would almost always catch something and almost everything, never tried live ones but I'm sure those work even better. Squid would also work pretty good, but the fresher all the bait was the better. I've had some decent luck up around Kayena Point area and also around Haleiwa. Another thing I used to do it go to the flats at hickam at night during low tide, bring a really bright flash light and scoop up mullets...at least I think they were mullets, you can also get live shrimp doing this to. The mullets would work well for papio and needle fish. I actually caught this HUGE needle fish with a big mullet, but I didn't even hook it. I was using steel leaders because I kept getting broke off and the needlefish somehow managed to tie a knot around its beak with the leader...it was pretty crazy. Hope this helps some.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Saltwater fishing

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:50 am

If you are military, you should check out hickam, pearl, or Kaneohe marine corp station, the fishing there is supposedly good. Be careful on the north shore this time of the year, the surf is really knarly!

Return to “General Discussion”