Coming from California to fish on Friday

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

hrairguitar
minnow level

Coming from California to fish on Friday

Postby hrairguitar » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:59 am

Greetings from California. I'm flying in on Thursday and have been granted permission to fish Lake Wilson on Friday. The kayak is rented. Rods reels and tackle are packed. Ive done some emailing with Stan the man Wright and feel like i have a solid game plan. The goal is 1 peacock! Of course the weather is supposed to be rainy and windy during the whole trip (of course).

Does anyone have any recent reports? Mainly im wondering if the fish are hugging the shore/shallows or if they are deeper.

Appreciate any tips!!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:53 pm

went today no peacocks... actually last peacock i caught was a month ago... but it was a 5lber on a fat free shad in about 12ft of water.... blue back and chartreuse. If i was targeting right now i would probably do about the same thing... maybe use a fluke jr or the small size suspending x-raps. water temp was finally up a little today 74.2. as long as the nights aren't too "cool" it should stay there or get better.

largemouth bite is really good right now. went today from 130-330 and caught 13 on reaction innovations sweet beavers. Color didn't matter used 4 different colors and they all caught fish. flip/pitch tight to laydowns on steep banks slowly working your bait through the limbs down to about 15ft. let it fall on semi-slack line after you feel it pop over the top of a limb. Used a 1/4oz tungsten weight on 20lbs Sunline Sniper FC.

it was good last Sunday as well pretty much same presentation only with a 1/2oz Jig PB&J... Boss Wood Walker with a zoom super chunk in watermelon purple flake.

the crankbait bite was good the previous 2 weeks but seems to have faded. 7mm Berkley filicker shads were the deal for me anyways.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

hrairguitar
minnow level

Postby hrairguitar » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:36 am

a month ago? oh man! looks like i've got my work cut out for me.

I'm bringining a little bit of everything with me......kastmasters, senkos, xraps, zara spooks, cranks, swim baits. Debating on bringing my portable fish finder to see the depths. From what it sounds like everything used there is a smaller size compared to what we use out here. Guessing its because the size of the bait fish??

Thanks for the reply! Been getting lots of good advice. Hopefully i can make it all pay off! I'll post my report afterwards

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:22 am

Yeah down sizing is key due to the size of the shad. However you can still catch tucs on the bigger baits. They will be better quality but lower numbers.

Another way to catch tucs when they are deeper like they are now is on a grub and darterhead jig or a small swimbait and a darterhead.

Also if the water temp stays where its at or gets higher a frog or topwater can be pretty fun and effective.

The largemouth eat normal size baits.

Im going again today and I will try to focus on the Tucs and post another report.

hrairguitar
minnow level

Postby hrairguitar » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Ok cool thank you! So it sounds like the largemouth are similar to out here. Nice to know I can plan B those if the tucs aren't biting. I'll throw a couple frogs in as well. I never thought it'd be so difficult to narrow down what I'm bringing to just the bare essentials. I want to bring all my bass tackle!

I'm picking up my kayak at 9am Friday and hope to be on the water by 1030 and fishing throughout the day. Its a bit later for my taste but its the hand I've been dealt. Hopefully the weather cooperates

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Caught 2 tucs today on small jerkbaits, no size to them though. The tucs were fairly shallow near laydowns. Zip it in tight, through, across, around laydowns and work it fast and kill it everynow and then. Bass were a little deeper than the tucs.

water temp was near 75 and I did see a couple of Tucs pairing up getting ready to spawn. one was really big (8lbs is my guess) but wasn't interested in my offering.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:40 pm

I figure the peacock bass will start spawning when the water temperature reaches 78 degrees… I hope sooner.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:50 pm

Friday there were A LOT more tucs shallow! found one group that was really aggressive. Water wasn't any warmer than Wednesday but the lengthening of daylight hours is probably putting them in "the mood".

The groups I saw were quite aggressive one group that I caught 2 tucs from (lost two more) probably had 10-12 fish that were all over 3lbs! Also, broke off a 5lber a few laydowns later 😠.

Looks like the action is starting to heat up!

Largemouth bite was pretty good too. However, I didnt catch both species in the same area... I don't think they like each other a whole lot ☺

Largemouth seemed a little more spread out as I was catching them anywhere from 2 to 14ft.

hrairguitar
minnow level

Postby hrairguitar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:29 am

Well....

So Friday i gave it a try........I wanted to launch the kayak by Boy Scout Island/Miki Flats and they were doing road work in the area that i wanted to park at so i drove to the park. Got the kayak all ready to go and gave it a try and man that thing was so unstable that i knew for sure i was going to flip over and lose or ruin my stuff. I'm a pretty in shape guy too and have kayak'd several times down the river here but there was no way i was going to make that thing work. So I resorted to bank fishing near the boat launch. Ended up catching 2 largemouths. Saw a couple peacocks but couldnt get them to bite. Saw a few other random fish too but couldnt get them to bite. I threw everything i had at the fish. 1 pole had feeder fish on at all times and the other i threw cranks, worms, kastmasters, spooks. The largemouth were caught on gold kastmaster and a crank bait.

If you can look past all the trash its a really cool waterway/lake. Kinda cool that there are so many random species of fish in there

hrairguitar
minnow level

Well....

So Friday i gave it a try........I wanted to launch the kayak by Boy Scout Island/Miki Flats and they were doing road work in the area that i wanted to park at so i drove to the park. Got the kayak all ready to go and gave it a try and man that thing was so unstable that i knew for sure i was going to flip over and lose or ruin my stuff. I'm a pretty in shape guy too and have kayak'd several times down the river here but there was no way i was going to make that thing work. So I resorted to bank fishing near the boat launch. Ended up catching 2 largemouths. Saw a couple peacocks but couldnt get them to bite. Saw a few other random fish too but couldnt get them to bite. I threw everything i had at the fish. 1 pole had feeder fish on at all times and the other i threw cranks, worms, kastmasters, spooks. The largemouth were caught on gold kastmaster and a crank bait.

If you can look past all the trash its a really cool waterway/lake. Kinda cool that there are so many random species of fish in there

hrairguitar
minnow level

Well....

hrairguitar
minnow level

Well....

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:03 pm

If you read this on Wed… give me a call, I want to see how you did

Stan
808-352-6197
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “General Discussion”