Suggestions for bass/barracuda

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Hoop71
bait level

Suggestions for bass/barracuda

Postby Hoop71 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Hello everyone!

I will be visiting from Vancouver, Canada from Feb 21-Mar2 of this year and I was going to bring a light spinning rod with me.

I have done some research and plan to fish the reservoir for bass and maybe the canal for barracuda.

Is fishing the lake doable without a boat? Is north fork better than south or vice versa (access without a boat) or is the the same?

I have my rod/reel and will get my license online but what should I bring for lures or what would you recommend I purchase there?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:27 pm

When you come onto the website, instead of clicking the forums, click on the lures/flies page. Lots of good info there.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

shanai
King Sushi level

Postby shanai » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi Dan,

You can fish Lake Wilson without a boat however, you will have limited access to some areas. The banks can be quite steep in places so be careful if you plan to do this. I think in general access to either the North or South forks are about the same. If you fish for bass back home, the same kinds of lures will work in Hawaii as well. Hawaii does not have much of a variety for fresh water tackle and lures so you might be better off bringing stuff with you from home.

For Barracuda, we've caught them with small jerk baits fished by itself or trailed behind a bubble floater. You can even try trailing a light lead head jig with a curly tail or small assassin behind the floater as well. Have also caught them with spoons.

If you haven't already, check out the following websites for more info:

http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/default.asp?nc=6&id=14
https://sites.google.com/site/hffa808/

Hope this helps

:D steve
" It's not the size of the fish in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the fish "

Hoop71
bait level

Postby Hoop71 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:15 pm

Thanks Shanai & roadwarriorsvt! Will do some more research & reading and thanks for the links.

Cheers,
Dan

asianmanofmystery
bass level

Postby asianmanofmystery » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:14 pm

For barracuda specifically, I like the gold Kastmaster spoon. You can trail it with feathers, a rubber squid, etc. I work it fast breaking the surface. I walk the length of the canal to cover more area. Sometimes you can see the barracuda suspending. Other times they will strike out of nowhere.

Like Shanai said, the bubble float rig also works. You can catch a variety of other species in the canal with this too.

[/img]

drcray
bass level

Postby drcray » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:59 am

You will be pretty unsucessful from shore, for the reasons mentioned above. There are plenty of smallies in the streams, and the barras and tevally are pretty easy to catch in the canals. I would look into a guide service if you're dying for pbass though.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:19 pm

In case your wondering about what a 'bubble rig" is…

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:59 pm

I've had great success on Kaku using Yo-zuri Crystal minnows, Kastmasters, and Krocodile spoons. The most fun has been using topwater plugs like Zara Spooks, Rebel Pop'rs, etc., very exciting watching a torpedo quickly home in on your topwater lure, missing it a couple times before hanapa'a da buggah!
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Return to “General Discussion”