jaguar cichlids

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

shanai
King Sushi level

jaguar cichlids

Postby shanai » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Was out on the lake this past weekend and the other angler on our boat hooked into what we thought was a good sized bass. Turned out to be a jaguar cichlid and a fairly large one at that. We estimated that it went close to two pounds.

take a good look at the teeth on this fish - looks like it could do some damage if you happen to stick a finger in it's mouth.

:) steve
" It's not the size of the fish in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the fish "

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:36 pm

I hope you threw it up on the bank. They are terrible for the lake.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:31 am

Was that at condo cliffs? That's the only place ive seen them...but it has been quite a few years since I've fished Wilson....however, my boat leaves Georgia tmw so it shouldn't be more than a month or so...can wait to fish some HFFA tourneys again!
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

shanai
King Sushi level

Postby shanai » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:54 am

The cichlid became catfood and was not thrown back into the lake.

The fish was caught in a stretch between ironwoods and the county yard. A concern is that it was caught off of a single branch off of the bank in an area that one would suspect is a good place for a bass. Hope these cichlids are not competing with the bass for these spots.

:?
" It's not the size of the fish in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the fish "

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:57 pm

I had a jaguar cichlid and a bass in a 90 gallon fish tank together.... the bass didn't make it a day and was at least 4" longer and a half pound heavier. My mistake.... thought there would be enough room and cover but the jaguar cichlid wanted none of it.

They all compete with each other in some form or another... for food or territory, tucs, bass, red devils, xxx cichlid, bluegill, jaguar cichlid. TOO MANY PREDATORS! The red devils I find the most alarming because they seem to reproduce and grow more rapidly then everything else.

The jaguars have been in the lake for at least 5 years, and they don't seem to get caught all that often, so maybe they don't reproduce that fast.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:18 pm

That looks like a dovii to me. Very closely related to the jaguar cichlid, but gets a LOT bigger.

Parachromis dovii vs parachromis managuensis if you want to look up the differences.

shanai
King Sushi level

Jaguar Cichlids

Postby shanai » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:14 pm

So I looked up what Modest_Man said about the possibility that what we thought was a Jaguar Cichlid was actually a Wolf Cichlid.

Parachromis dovii ( Wolf Cichlid )
72 centimeters or 28 inches

Parachromis managuensis ( Jaguar Cichlid)
35 centimeters or 14 inches

I can't really tell them apart from a picture but the big difference between the two is that the Wolf gets twice as big as the Jaguar. One of these two foot or bigger Wolf Cichlids would probably go north of ten pounds.

Maybe "Pedro" the legend of Lake Wilson might actually be a wolf ?

:D steve

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:08 pm

This one below is 26" and 13lb.8oz. I would not mind having these guys in the lake.

ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:43 pm

Both of the photos you guys posted are very large adult males. Females stay quite a bit smaller and are more drab.

Here's a couple photos that I took of a large dovii in an aquarium-

Male

Male and female and fry in a 600 gallon tank-

Here's a photo I stole from the internet of a female. EDIT: Dang your forum doesn't resize the images huh? Here are a couple links to female dovii instead-

http://www.cichlids.com/uploads/tx_user ... 8a3057.jpg

http://www.cichlids.com/uploads/tx_user ... d27bad.jpg

Compare the coloration and markings on the opercle and the lateral band with faint vertical barring.

The original photo isn't that great but I'm pretty sure it's a female dovii.

Return to “General Discussion”