bass fishing

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

lsutiger17
bait level

bass fishing

Postby lsutiger17 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:12 pm

New to the lake just got my kayak out here. I've caught a few large mouth but it feels like I'm not Fishing with the right tackle. I'm using all my old baits from Louisiana. I've fished with live bait out here and it's fun , but I like the challenge of artificial . Any tips on what yall are using? Thanks :lol:

shanai
King Sushi level

Postby shanai » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:31 pm

lsutiger17,

Your question can only be answered this way: it depends

Basically any baits/lures fished in any style that you use back home will work here at some time or another. I guess the trick is to figure out what the bass will bite from one day to another.

Some of the same kinds of things that affect bass fishing such as cloud cover, water clarity, wind, structure, grass, wood, logs, coves, deep, shallow, suspend, bait fish etc affects the fishing here as well.

The lake is small in comparison to the big lakes on the mainland so you could consider this lake to be high pressured. It's hard to say what works better so it comes down to preference and style of fishing that you're confident in using.

We also have multiple game fish so it depends if you are targeting just LMB or interested in SMB and/or Tucunare as well. Some things work for multiple species, while other lures. work better for one species.

I think a good place to start is with plastics, worms or creatures rigged either Texas or Carolina stye. Stuff like spinnerbaits and crank baits also work conditional on time of day and weather conditions. Average size bass is between one and two pounds with the occasional 5+ lunker but these are hard to come by.

Check out this "map" of the Lake, it gives you an idea of what the Lake looks like

https://sites.google.com/site/hffa808/w ... wilson-map

If you're interested, check out our website, our fishing club holds monthly tournaments - only artificial lures allowed.

https://sites.google.com/site/hffa808/home

:D steve
Last edited by shanai on Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" It's not the size of the fish in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the fish "

lsutiger17
bait level

Postby lsutiger17 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Shanai, thanks for the advice! :D

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:46 am

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Return to “General Discussion”