Kauai

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

drcray
bass level

Kauai

Postby drcray » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:07 pm

I'm trying to plan a little backpacking fishing trip for Kauai. Anyone here care to share information on where I could find some rainbows and other interesting freshwater fish there?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Never been fishing on Kauai but I've heard there are trout in Kokee. Trout Unlimited can give you more info on this. They have a chapter here on Oahu. I believe Stan is a member. I have, however, see the trout raised at Sand Island that are grown to stock the Kokee waters. Sounds like a fun trip. Keep us posted = Fish vicariously thru you.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:39 pm

i believe trout season is the first few weekends of august. but then again probably not to many guys checking up in the streams. there are a few wild ones way way up but gotta hike in to get to them.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Here's a link to the Hawaii Chapter of the Trout Unlimited club. To join, you just have to be a TU member, They have a cabin in Kokee open to all the members and can tell you all about the trout fishing.

http://www.tuhi.org

Almost all the streams have smallmouth bass. Or at least they use to. LOL

Check out some of the YouTube videos about "smallmouth bass fishing on Kauai".
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Lois
bait level

Postby Lois » Thu May 08, 2014 10:58 pm

Very informative posts guys! I found this very helpful to know about species of trout. Here I am looking some information about shallow water that I saw in Hawaii. Can you tell me the name and its category of the fish shown in below image?

I found this link very informative about my next tour plan. http://www.getbustours.com/east-coast-tours/

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Fri May 09, 2014 3:05 am

Lois wrote:Very informative posts guys! I found this very helpful to know about species of trout. Here I am looking some information about shallow water that I saw in Hawaii. Can you tell me the name and its category of the fish shown in below image?

Triggerfish or humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa.
Crash

Lois
bait level

Postby Lois » Fri May 30, 2014 8:30 pm

You are right dear Crash! It’s really from the Humuhumunuknukapuaa family. Now I google it and come to know that it is also called Reef triggerfish. Crash! Let me know more about this fish family and tell me have you ever seen this?

I found this link very informative about my next tour plan. http://www.getbustours.com/east-coast-tours/

Return to “General Discussion”