Safe boating certificate

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Safe boating certificate

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:14 pm

So I started my online course to get the required safe boating certificate. It's free at boatus. Org so don't be a chump and pay the 65$ all those Craigslist guys are asking. It's approved from DLNR on thier site. Pain in the ass it's a 3 hour course if you run straight thrue or you can save your progress and continue anytime. 6 chapters with 50 pages each and the pages are timed you can't advance till the timer runs out.the pages aren't long but there is some info that you wonder why do I need this?alot of basic stuff too.you need a windows computer it won't work with a Mac.after each chapter is a 10 question quiz you need 80% to pass or you have to redo the chapter. It's multiple choice and vary easy, basic questions. I was surprised thinking I was in trouble with the whole what kind of toilet I needed for how many miles out and figuring load based on length and width of boat divided by 15. There is a 75 question test at the end of the last chapter and you also need 80% to pass at which point you can download and print your completion certificate or for 5$ they will print and mail it to you.5 more chapters to go!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:15 pm

I keep putting it off... guess I'll have to start one of these days... soon. :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:29 pm

I got my certificate through the Maui Coast Guard Auxiliary 12 years ago when I worked for the state but my corrupt DLNR bosses had it disposed of along with other documents after I turned them in, and the Maui Coast Guard Auxiliary does not keep records to make duplicates. :x
Guess I have to take the course again, humbug but at least it's free.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

TheAlohaBoy
bass level

Postby TheAlohaBoy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:10 am

Is this required for boat operators? It's says online that this course does not satisfy Hawaii's Thrill Craft requirements.

The BoatU.S. Online safety course does not meet the requirement for thrill craft operators in the state of Hawaii. Only courses for thrill craft operators offered through the University of Hawaii Community College system are approved for PWC operators in Hawaii.

The term "thrill craft" generally includes, but is not limited to, a jet ski, wave-runner, wet bike, surf jet, miniature speed boat, hovercraft, and every description of vessel which uses an internal combustion engine powering a water jet pump as its primary source of motive propulsion, and is designed to be operated by a person or persons sitting, standing, or kneeling on, or being towed behind the vessel.

At this time, Hawaii does not have any other operator restrictions for recreational watercraft. However, a good rule of thumb is to always go boating with a buddy. And, if you are under the age of 16, a competent adult should be present that can take immediate control in the event of an emergency.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:58 am

Yes the certificate will be required by all operators of a powered vessel not including pwc which requires a separate license and course.how do they rent jet skis to people without the course? Damned if I know. I think the states new law goes into effect in November? Was it this year or next? I believe the certificate is a one shot deal unlike the coast guard certification which needs to be updated yearly. I hope it's a one shot deal! Dud chpt 2 last night it was lonnnnnng and I nearly didn't pass the quiz, couple of trick questions on there!

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:52 am

DOBAR has the rules on thier site. Enforcement starts nov 10 2014 so got a year to do it. Any powered vessel sail or motor over 10hp will require the operator to have it.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:48 pm

I did mine while I was in Texas awhile back and I remember googling every question while I was taking the test :) because like BASSTRACKER said....there is some stuff on there that just seems completely useless to me and probably 90% of most boaters!
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Return to “General Discussion”