Need some tips

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

drcray
bass level

Need some tips

Postby drcray » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Before I start, Like I said I am from Florida. Not used to calling peacock bass Tucs yet so if I call them pbass or peaks it's just what I used to calling them.
So I just charged lake wilson yesterday. I figured I had to start somewhere, so I started at the boat ramp. Fished there for a while, and all I saw were five star generals, tilapia, and 2 very small peaks. That were still minnow eaters.

I walked around a bit and found a spot down a steep trail and around the corner of the ramp where it looks like an island may form if there is enough water? Anyways, that spot had 2 pairs of pbass swim in and out, both way bigger that 2 pounds. Seeing this I starting throwing all kine of lure, at all levels of water. Crankbaits, softbaits, spinners, and topwater (and I have a very diverse freshwater tacklebox) With no luck. I figured I would try live bait so I hand poled some five stars and tilaps and dunked them by some logs. No dice.
I ended up seeing the bass again and again, I and would throw everything in front of their faces, even live bait, but still no dice.

Back in Florida there really isn't a technique for pbass other than pulling things through the water, because they hit everything. You can also sight fish them like I tried to do, and it almost always works. The bass back home can't resist live bait like the ones did here, they'll turn around as soon as it hits the water and start slapping it.

So I am writing for some tips. Is there a better time? I was on it at 11 til 4. Is there a better place? A better bait? If you feel more comfortable PMing me a spot thats cool. I really just want to catch a tuc! I don't plan on eating any (I am a scientist and I know how dirty the water is, plus peacocks, pacu, and plecos only taste good from the amazon. I have tried them all there :D ) so if you worried about me poaching, that's not the goal. I just miss catching fish I am used to catching. haha :) I would love to fish with more locals as you guys all are always welcoming and nice, and eventually get a boat out here.

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Don't be discouraged by the lack of success. The peacock bass in Lake Wilson are a fickle bunch ! The fishing can change from day today - even hour to hour. One day my son and I sat on a point and caught over 60 tucs on live bait. ( midokas). Two days later we went back to the same spot and caught two fish. Same time of day, same bait.... but nothing there.
I was out on Sunday also. I sat on my point with my assortment of live bait just like yours.
From 3 pm to 4 pm not a bite.
At 4 pm things went off. Between 4 an 6 pm I caught 35-40 tucs in the mostly 2 lb range. The biggest one went almost 4lbs. They were still hitting as I headed back to the ramp. ( 6: 45 closing )
I guess the moral of this little story is ...... you went home too early !
Keep trying, because you are on the right track. The five stars are a great bait. But some days, you can see the tucs, throw it a great bait and get NOTHING ! That is fishing !

Soldierboy
bass level

Postby Soldierboy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 pm

Pegasus is exactly correct about the Tucs. I have been on island for a year now. It took me about 5 months to figure them out. I never used live bait until I came here for Tucs. My first experience was the same, threw different types of live baits and the Tucs would swim to the bait and move off. I would leave that spot and move on. I would come back a few hours later and throw the same bait and Bam! Hold on for the ride.

White flukes and swim baits are my go to lures when it comes to Tucs protecting their Frys. When you see this activity, I quickly throw my artificial lure just past them and quickly reel the lure fast past them without stopping.

I also pay attention to the water temperature, majority of my catches are from water temperatures ranging slightly above 80 degrees.

Take advantage of the low water levels so you know where all the structures are. Those places can make or brake you. As the water levels rise and the structures disappear you can find out where the Tucs could be holding. Here is a pic of how I was successful knowing where the structures are and using the right lure to break the 5 Pound mark.

Nonetheless, it's all about never giving up when it's frustrating. Like my dad always told me, you cannot catch a wall hanger if your line isn't wet. Good Luck!
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory!

drcray
bass level

Postby drcray » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:17 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I'm focused on catching a hawaiian pbass, so it's only a matter of time before I land one.

Couple of questions too.

Is BBP accessible by car and if so how and where can I park without getting boned.

Anyone ever fish the golf course out here? I live by Ala Wai and I have been thinking about wetting some lines in the golf course ponds :)

asianmanofmystery
bass level

Postby asianmanofmystery » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 pm

As was mentioned in another thread, there are opportunities from shore. However, to answer your question BBP and many other productive spots are not accessible by car/foot.

I'm not sure what type of vehicle you have but my recommendation is to acquire a kayak - sit-on-top or sit-inside, I have seen both on the lake. You can get your hands on the necessary equipment on a relatively small (and fixed) budget. This is what I did and it opened up a whole new world for me.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:11 pm

Hello drcray, besides the info you can find at this site, I recommend reading the July 2008 issue of Hawaii Fishing News. I think UH has back issues at the library. They used to archive them at the Hamilton Library. Good fishing can be found through out the year, but I think August through October usually is the best time.

Return to “General Discussion”