what kind of fish is this?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

shanai
King Sushi level

what kind of fish is this?

Postby shanai » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:43 pm

This fish was caught on a spinnerbait. Angler Robert stated that it had teeth like a red devil and pulled like a Tuc. Measured 17" and weighed 3 pounds.

It looks like a Jaguar or 5 star cichlid or maybe a hybrid tilapia but whatever it is, it put up a very good fight before being landed. Fish was then released to fight another day.

:D
" It's not the size of the fish in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the fish "

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Sure looks like a Jaguar to me. The state record ( Basstracker ) is 3.28
Did he catch that today Friday 8-30-13 ? Nice one ! They do fight pretty well. I got one and thought it was a SMB at first.

shanai
King Sushi level

Postby shanai » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:03 pm

yes, Robert and his wife were out fishing today (Friday 8/30) when they got this fish
" It's not the size of the fish in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the fish "

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:21 pm

It has the color of a Jaguar but the profile looks more like a Red Devil. I have never seen a Jaguar with a bump forehead before. I wonder if they could hybridize with Red Devils. The Jaguars I have seen have all had sloping foreheads like the one pictured below. The dorsal and anal fin profiles to me resemble more that of a Red Devil too.

ImageImage
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 pm

I'm thinking a jaguar also. Whatever it is, it is not a target species and our lake would benefit from it being tossed on the bank. I'll bet it likes to eat LMB fry whatever it is.....
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Soldierboy
bass level

Postby Soldierboy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:40 am

Thanks for all the help to identify this mystery fish me and the wife caught. I thought I had a Tuc by the way it was pulling and tangled its self on some log. When it was slowly coming up to the boat and I seen the bump on its head with its mouth open, I thought it was a Tuc. When it jumped out of the water, I then thought it was an abnormally large tilapia. Once I landed the darn thing, now it had teeth like a Red Devil. Talk about a mystery fish????. As you can see I did not lip the fish to conduct C-P-R, had to put my fingers underneath it's gill plate.

This fish is built like a Dodge Ram! BAHAHA
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory!

TheAlohaBoy
bass level

Postby TheAlohaBoy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:23 pm

Its a Jag.... and it didn't make it when my pond was attacked by a bacteria virus.

Lost 1 Jag, 10 Catfish and two buckets of Red Devils

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:13 am

Ahnkochee wrote:It has the color of a Jaguar but the profile looks more like a Red Devil. I have never seen a Jaguar with a bump forehead before. I wonder if they could hybridize with Red Devils. The Jaguars I have seen have all had sloping foreheads like the one pictured below. The dorsal and anal fin profiles to me resemble more that of a Red Devil too.

ImageImage

Don't know Ahnko...plenty of pictures on Google of Jags with pointy dorsal and anal fin profile with a slight bump on the head. But you are right...that bump is bigger than usual.

Red Devils and Jags are in different genus though. Not sure how common it is for them to produce viable hybrids.

I would say it is a Jag though...and great to see at the lake. Sure keeps things interesting.
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

Return to “General Discussion”