Bassmasters Classic 2013

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:57 am

Been watching everything online this morning and seems like the original leader has hit a wall. From what I hear, he's got 50+ boats following him and its taking a toll on him. Three of my guys are in 1st, 4th, and 7th. I'm hoping they can pull a 1,2, 5 finish so I can win a jersey. This fantasy fishing is pretty fun to do and it's free. We'll see how things turn out. By the end of the day someone will be a million dollars richer with a 500k first place check and all of the incentives that comes with it.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught" -Unknown Author

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:01 pm

I was rooting for Hank Cherry the whole way! I fished the southern open three with him on day 3 that he won on lewis smith lake. I ran out of the swimbaits and jig heads i was using(we happened to be fishing the same baits) and he gave me access to his baits and jig heads. I could feel his pain when they showed him loose a 7-8lb fish :( he also said he lost another one earlier that would have gone 5.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:54 pm

I know it!!! I felt really bad for him, especially since it happened with such little time left to fish. Honestly, I think Cliff Pace got really lucky with his last two fish. I was watching the war room and they were talking to the photographer when he caught the two fish back to back. I had Brandon palonik(spelling), Ike, and Jason Christie on my fantasy. They all fell through at the last minute but I was almost certain Brandon had it! Good tournament though. I'm making plans for Alabama next year! Heading back to Texas in June so it won't be a bad drive to the classic.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Cliff Pace was possibly the most unenthusiastic classic winner of all time!!

About a year ago I was fishing a tournament, 1st place was guaranteed $5,000, in the first 8 minutes I lost a fish that was an easy 4lbs, jumped and threw my red eye shad. Wasn't a big deal as it was still early. After catching a couple 2's in the following minutes I then hooked a big fish, jumped 3 times, it was an easy 7lbs, had it at the boat 3 times after a few failed attempts with the net it surged 1 final time and broke me off. I yelled, wanted to break my rod, felt sick, devastated, you name it i felt it. Told my partner that there is little chance we can win this thing losing a fish like that. Went on to get a few more good fish of that spot but nothing over 4lbs. Ended day 1 with 10lbs had two dinks that were no more than 3lbs together. A 7+ and a 4 would probably have put me at about 18lbs or so. Day two went out and stuck a 5 a 4 and 3 in the first 10 minutes off the same spot then scrambled the rest of the day to get two more 2lbers. Caught a 10lb catcfish that i thought was a hawg bass initially and was disappointed when i realized it was a cat. Ended day two with 15 1/2lbs or so..ended up 6th and didnt cut a check. I still haven't completely healed from losing those two fish that first day :) now that was in a mid level local guaranteed cash tourney.

Can't even begin to imagine something like that happening in the classic! I would probably just start vomiting and continue for a few days.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 pm

I had a similar situation at our last local tournament on Wilson. Had a nice 2 1/2, maybe 3 lb bass on my bomber crank bait off one of the points. Got him all the way to the boat, and jumped off as my partner was sticking the net into the water. I ended up coming in 4th and missed placing by 4 ounces. That fish definitely would have helped me out!! All I could do was laugh about and cast away.....it was a tough day for 90% of the rest of the guys so I was just blessed to get what I did and catch the number of fish I did that day. I caught 6 the entire day, while my partner only caught one. You have your highs and lows and fishing and its probably why we all love it so much.

Return to “General Discussion”