Bass Fishing Archives

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Bass Fishing Archives

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 am

:D
Wow, talk about a "Blast from the Past"...

I've been around bass fishing all my life... I grew up in East Texas on a lake where my Dad had a fishing camp.
I remember when my Dads Bait & Tackle store was the top retail outlet for the Bomber Bait Company. (1956 ?)
I remember when there was a life size photo of Dad with a stringer of bass hanging over his shoulder
and trailing the ground behind him at the Cream Worm booth at the Dallas Sports Show.

So as I worked my way through the Bass Fishing Archives web site, it brought back a flood of memories.
Not only do I recognize some of the lures in those old advertisements and stories... I remember catching bass with them...
shoots, I still have some of those original lures.

Check out the Bass Fishing Archives website.
www.bassfishingarchives.com
You can see how it all started and you'll probably
get a laugh out of some the pictures of how we did it in the olden days.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Terry Battisti
bait level

Thanks Stan

Postby Terry Battisti » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks for the kind words Stan. We're trying our hardest to show the history of the sport and have some fun while doing it. We hope you come by and visit the site often and also "like" us on Facebook.

Speaking of which, i had no idea Hawaii had bass fishing. I stand to learn something. So, when were largemouth and smallmouth planted in Hawaii? How many of the islands have them? I'd kind of like to do a story on that whole deal.

Thanks again!

Terry
Terry Battisti
Bass Fishing Archives

Crash
King Sushi level

Re: Thanks Stan

Postby Crash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Terry Battisti wrote:.....when were largemouth and smallmouth planted in Hawaii? How many of the islands have them? I'd kind of like to do a story on that whole deal.
Terry

Howzit Terry,

Some quick info:

LMB are on Kauai, Oahu and the Big Island of Hawaii and were introduced in 1896.

SMB are on Kauai and Oahu and were introduced in 1953.

This info is per the Hawaii DAR website.
Crash

Terry Battisti
bait level

Thanks Crash

Postby Terry Battisti » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks for that answer Crash. Holy Moly, I had no idea they were introduced that early. Pretty dang amazing. So what type of weights does it take to win a tourney over there?

Thanks!

Terry
Terry Battisti

Bass Fishing Archives

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:03 pm

I have no idea what weights it takes to win a tourney on Wilson. There are a bunch of other anglers that fish the tourneys that should be able to answer that for you.
Crash

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 pm

If youre only fishing a large/small mouth tournament then the average weight for a 4 fish bag limit is around 7 lbs. in a recent tournament the first place winner caught 4 bass for a total of just over 9 lbs.

Im not sure about the weights for the tournaments that include peacock bass but they usually are higher
All day I dream about fishing

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:39 pm

I figure the average largemouth weighs right around 2 pounds. Peacock bass , just a little over 2 pounds.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 pm

I've seen 6 lbs take 4th place and I've seen 6 lbs take 1st place. It just depends..... That is with a 3 bag limit.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Return to “General Discussion”