Where can I spool my new reel

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Where can I spool my new reel

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:17 pm

I just got a new curado 300 for Christmas. Does anyone know if there is a store that can spool line on for me? Also if you do would you happen to know how much it cost for this service?
All day I dream about fishing

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Consider doing it yourself. Its not that hard. BPS sells devices to assist or you can find a friend with a pencil and acomplish the same result. If you really want to pay someone to do this, most any fishing supply shop can do it for you. Roy's in Waimalu or Brian's in town are two that come to mind first.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 pm

I might just do it myself. I want to put 40lb braid on it but I need to find a big enough spool of line. The curado 300 can hold over 200 yds of 40lb braid I think

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:13 pm

For braided line, most of the time they come in the 100-150 yd spools and then Jumps up to 300+. I think you can get away with 150 yds and it be just about perfect to give you enough thumb control. I usually don't fill my spools all the way up because I like my thumb to fit just under the top of the spool. Gives me better control. I'm in the process of buying a Abu G3 STX that can hold 130-140 yds of 30 pound braid. I'm gonna put 50lb braid and only buy a 100 yd spool of powerpro for it. It's a gonna be a my new flipping rod. I guess it really just depends on the technique you plan on using with the reel.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught" -Unknown Author

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:42 pm

I planning on using it for flipping and pitching mostly. Im gonna try using sufix braid. So you think 150 yds should be enough? I don't mind buying the larger spools but I'm not sure were the best place to buy them.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:13 pm

id go with power pro, its one of the rounder braids and it works very very nice. have tried suffix,fireline , and spiderwire and power pro is much more subtle easy to cast. alot less backlash and dosent dig into itself as bad. get a small spool of braid and save the money. use cheap mono backing to fill the spool half way then connect with a double uni knot and spool the braid. odds are you may never get to the knot again before the braid wears out!

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:38 pm

I have a half empty spool of braid. Should I put that on my reel first and then add the new line?

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:46 pm

I agee with BASSTRACKER, go with powerpro! I've had the the same line on one of my reels for over a year and it's still just as strong as the day I bought it! It's good stuff and worth the extra $$$. I bought mine at Walmart. 150 should be enough I think. If its gonna be for just flipping and shorter pitching casts your good with the 150 of the 30#. That's what I have on the one reel now.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught" -Unknown Author

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll probably stick with power pro. I got a new phenix MH rod to go with it. Can't wait to test everything out!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:15 am

Definitely got with some cheap mono backing like BASSTRACKER mentioned it will save you a lot of money over time. I do this with every reel I have(minus my set up for vertical jigging), not only will it be cheaper, it will keep braid from slipping on the spool of spinning reels, it also saves time when re-spooling.

One thing I recently started doing so I could be very precise with how much line I wanted to take off and put on was using one of those clip on line counters. It used to drive me nuts having 20 or 30 ft of line left on a spool, only thing I could do with it was use it for leaders.

Another trick with braid is.... over time your braid will start wearing out but it will only be worn out for probably the first 25 feet or so. With flipping/pitching applications you will never be using the full 50 ft or whatever your have on there. Instead of just taking it off and throwing it away, attach the tag end while it's still on your reel and put it on another reel, you will end up with the end portion of your original line that never/rarely saw the light of day or was in the water as the part you will fish on the new reel you have it on. The best way to do this is just loosen the drag on the reel your are trying to take the line from so it wont over spin if you stop reeling.

If you get serious about flipping/pitching you may want to look into a different reel as well, I'm not trying to rain on your parade but you will likely find that having a reel with a flipping switch or a thumb lever that lets you re engage the reel without cranking the handle something you can't live without. It took me one time during a tournament to realize why this is a must. I was flipping some stickups and as soon my bait entered the water a bass swirled on it and ate it. I set the and hadn't engaged the spool, i ended up with a giant backlash and i had to hand line a 4lber in. The shimano castaic may be one of the best flippin/pitching reels. The Daiwa T3 also has a thumb lever to engage without cranking the handle, not only with this help avoid the back lash issue but it will also allow you to maintain feel with your bait since you wont be swithing hands to engage the reel, even better than the thumb lever are reels that have the actual flipping mode like the quantum accurist, with this reel as soon as you let go of the thumb bar your reel is engaged. This is very handy while flipping. When your flipping you only really need to be reeling when you hook a fish, with the flipping mode engaged you will never need to crank the handle and you can make more flips throughout the day.

Hope this helps.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Return to “General Discussion”