Going to Branson

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

shanai
King Sushi level

Going to Branson

Postby shanai » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:31 pm

My wife has been trying to get me to agree to go to Branson Missouri to check out the shows and stuff that people do when they go there. I have to admit that I was not too keen on going to a place like that as I heard that it's where all the old people go to see all these old time singers perform.

She promised me that she would be happy with just a couple of shows and she quietly mentioned that the hotels are next to the water and maybe I could go swimming or maybe even see if it's possible to go fishing. It was not until I looked at a map of Branson and noticed that it is next to Table Rock Lake!, home to Large Mouth Bass, Small Mouth and Kentucky Bass, Whites, Blue Gill, White and Black Crappie, and Catfish. Then there's Lake Taneycomo!!, home to rainbow and brown trout and also Bull Shoals Lake !!!

I told my wife that I would gladly accompany her to Branson as this has been a bucket list item for her and I would do whatever she wants to make her happy. She gave me this smirk and told me to begin looking for flights.

So here I am, caught again doing what my wife wants to do: hook, line and sinker. I'm even trying to convince her that we should stay longer in Branson so that she can take in as many shows as possible, as they say, "happy wife, happy life ". I just can't believe some of the things I do for her.

:P

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Hooooo! I'd love to go to Branson Missouri. TONS of great fishing. Thats home to Big Cedar Lodge. They have a Bass Pro Shop right in the hotel! That is my dream vacation.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

shanai
King Sushi level

Going to Branson

Postby shanai » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:48 pm

Aww shucks! now I guess I gotta go shopping as well.

:roll: :lol:

Joel
bass level

Re: Going to Branson

Postby Joel » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:07 pm

shanai wrote:Aww shucks! now I guess I gotta go shopping as well.

:roll: :lol:

Hit up the "catalog outlet" in Springfield. Steal your dollar hollar aka silver dollar city is nice this time of year with all of the lights. If you are interested in hooking up with a guide to go fishing google Mike Webb..he's a great local pro. If you are interested in trying 'bowfishing' I could give you the number of an old friend that lives in Springfield.

FYI...Branson sort of shuts down in the winter...a lot of shows close for several months, including SDC.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:59 am

Can I get some info on what type of shows there are to see? The wife is already sold on going just from Big Cedar Lodge's photos but shows may be a bonus.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 am

:D
You will have so much fun... we stayed 6 days and did 3 shows a day.
Well, one day Donnie & Marie had to get along without me cause I went Trout Fishing. Figured I could bass fish any time, I wanted to go fly fishing.
www.riverrunoutfitters.com I met them at the fly shop and they fixed me up with everything. Great day, lots of trout, super picnic lunch, good company, spectacular scenery.

Shows... way too many to choose from. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Here are just a few, no matter what you like, they have it.
http://www.branson-mo.net/branson-shows.asp#shoji

You have to see:
Shoji Tabuchi, amazing Japanese fiddle player... if nothing else, just to see the gold fixtures in the bathroom.

Yakov Smirnoff... must see.

I also remember the Mickey Gilley show.
Andy Williams Christmas show.
Chinese Acrobats.
Manheimsteamroller. ?
There were so many good shows to choose from.
We were on a tour and I don't remember everything... but I'd visit there again in a heart beat.

You might want to book early to get the tickets you like. Lots of shows are 3 times a day.

We flew into Kansas City ( riverboat gambling ) and did the tour bus thing down to Branson and back. There is a small Bass Pro shop there in Branson, but I wish we could have visited the home store in Springfield.
:lol:
Last edited by Stan Wright on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

GaBoy
angler level

Postby GaBoy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 am

My wife and I own a time share at Branson, MO. We stayed there one week and had a fantastic time. Time share is with Bluegreen Resorts and you can use it at other resort areas which we did last year on Kauai. Plenty of entertainment for all family members. I did not have my boat so I missed out on fishing but they have guides avaialble depending on what you want to go after. A good family get away. BASS Pro Shop is a must since it was the original store to open. Have fun and enjoy!

Joel
bass level

Postby Joel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Andy is gone (died), but they will still have some kind of show.
Yakov is retiring after this year..
Before you book anything keep in mind that Branson "closes" for a few months per year (after Christmas). Many shows, hotels, and SDC close for 3-4 months. Check schedules before you spend any money...

shanai
King Sushi level

Going to Branson

Postby shanai » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:18 pm

I've been spending a lot of time the last two days perusing the
Branson Tourism Center web site - lots of information.

http://www.bransontourismcenter.com/?ph ... QgodW1gA9A

:D :D

Joel
bass level

Re: Going to Branson

Postby Joel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Speaking of TableRock, this storm was a lot worse than this picture makes it look. It was one of the only times I have been scared on the water. The main lake was dangerous, the storm came out of nowhere.. We were lucky to find a cove with an open dock. We stayed tied up there for a couple hours, caught a mess of crappie in the slips. TableRock is probably my favorite lake to fish..

Return to “General Discussion”