Faded Braided Line

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Faded Braided Line

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 pm

:D
I've noticed that over time the braided line I'm using tends to fade.
I remember reading someplace that if you spray the faded line with ArmorAll it will restore the line to it's original bright color.

Anyone heard of this... or tried it?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Stan,

Never heard of it but I wouldn't try either. The armor all might leave a oil slick every time you cast out and it might give off a scent that the fish pick up on and not like. The braided line on my spinning rod is fading too but it's just as strong as the day I got it, about 7-8 months ago.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught" -Unknown Author

shanai
King Sushi level

Faded Braided Line

Postby shanai » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:25 am

What about line conditioners like Ardent line butter, I've used this to help with casting when using braid line, it's supposed to help protect and condition the line. Haven't used it enough to know if it affects the way fish react or not.

:?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 am

I use the KVD Line & Lure Conditioner from time to time. It works well on mono and flouro. Not sure if it would work on braided though. I wouldn't be too concerned on the color as long as its still strong.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

GaBoy
angler level

Re: Faded Braided Line

Postby GaBoy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:15 am

Stan Wright wrote::D
I remember reading someplace that if you spray the faded line with ArmorAll it will restore the line to it's original bright color.

I use a magic mark to color my recolor braided line. Take a razor blade and cut a slit in the tip. Just place the line in the slit and work it back and forth for several feet. Have to retreat when fading shows. I only do about 6 feet at a time. No need to do much more. Hope this helps.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Faded line might be better anyway . After all it will less of a silouhette than a black or dark line. If in doubt tie 6 ft of flouro leader on with a double uni knot. That first 6 ft seems to work just fine for sensitivity.

Joel
bass level

Re: Faded Braided Line

Postby Joel » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Stan Wright wrote::D

Please don't do it...it would be the same concept of getting gas on your hands and handling your baits. There is a conditioner for braid, i'll see if I can track down the name for you.
Joel

djverve05
master baiter level

Postby djverve05 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Truthfully I prefer for my line to fade. Fish can see fishing line. It doesn't matter what type flouro, mono, or braided. Using colors that blend with what the color of the water is always going to be better than a neon colored line going through water. I have never understood why people use neon yellow or red braided line <--------------STAN WRIGHT!!!!!!!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Ardent reel butter works quite nice on braid. Bad thing about it is it will get your finger slick and it can be difficult to keep them on your reel knobs unless you have those after market reel grips or are using a reel like the abus that have the eva foam grips. Reel butter also seems to make flouro a little softer which is nice on spinning reels

I fished with this guy at the the bassmaster southern open 3 who drenched his plastics in gasoline and was getting bites. Crazy!

BASSTRACKER an even better knot for a braid to mono or flouro splice is the dropper loop. It's a pain to tie with braid sometimes taking up to 10 minutes to get it right...other times ive got it first time. Anyways, it is much stronger than a double uni or a ablright knot and it is not as large of a knot so you notice it much less going through the guides nd it will cast better too. Ive been using this knot for about 15 years now weather for leader or to put backing on a reel and ive never had the knot break. Learned it when i was a kid working for a sportfishing boat company , that was the knot we'd use to reline the rental rods when the seasons changed. Also found that the slicker braids like fireline are easier to tie it with than lines like power pro or fireline. However it does not work with berkley nano fill, something about the knot with that stuff breaks the nano fill.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:21 pm

:D
I don't care if the fish can see my line or not... I use yellow or red line so I can see it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would like to try some of that brown color line, but no one in Hawaii stocks it.
:cry:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:00 pm

I get all my braid from China now dirt cheap in a rainbow assortment of colors. :D
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:01 pm

thx Ca i will look into it, never hurts to experiment but if its more of a pain than a double uni or albright i may pass, i have a hard enough time seeing what im doing and end up holding one end with a toe clench while tying the other end with my hand. the nice thing about the uni is when you cinch it down it almost always makes a perfect know without the overlaps or digging in of the others, thats why i have grown to like it. been having a hard time tying flouro my eyes ar either getting worse or the line is getting clearer ;)

Return to “General Discussion”