main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

TACKLE REVIEW: Revo MGX and Allstar AS Micro Series

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:58 pm

To start off both are awesome products.

AS Micro Series:

I now have two of the allstar micro rods and ive been very impressed with them. They are very light, sensitive and affordable. They are not quite as light as the Duckett Micro Magic rods but are more durable and higher quality and at $130 about $30 cheaper. I have two of the Duckett's one I use for square bill cranks and the other is a 7'11" for extremely deep diving cranks (which it handles awesome...fishes amazing..just happened to have the cork on the butt break on the 7th cast or so). IMO if you are looking for a rod in the $120 to $200 range there are two choices...the AS Micros or the Loomis GL2 series (which i now have 4 of...they are really nice but a little bit more expensive, luckily my friend can get them for me for %50 off the MSRP).
Anyways...for under about $170 not sure you can beat the AS Micros.

Now own to my new baby....

Abu Garcia Revo MGX:
Now i normally don't go around spending this much on reels since essentially they are just a winch, but i cut a really nice check at the southern open and splurged...and I'm glad i did. Up until i had used the MGX i was sold that the Team Daiwa zillion was the best reel you could buy without paying over $400. Boy was i wrong! This reel is possibly the best reel that has ever graced my hands :) its smoother than a zillion, curado, chronarch and core. Lighter than the core and cast small finesse baits better than any baitcaster ive tried. I cant speak to it against the steez but i know for sure its much cheaper and i cant imagine the the steez being that much better.

On another note, i also got my hand on a Loomis NRX at a local tackle shop a few weeks back...and all i can say is wow! Gotta see if my firend can get me an NRX at %50 off. That thing felt amazing, and if my wife wouldnt have killed me for spending $450 on a rod i would have bought it :) I've had my steez rod now for about 1.5 years and i have to say ive become a little disappointed in it. Im now having to get the 3rd eye replaced :( they just keep popping out of the epoxy. Its still extremely light and sensitive but this durability issue is starting to wear thin on me...kinda like the duckett rods are.

Hope this helps and future buyers!
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:56 pm

I just bought the Duckett Micro Magic in the 7'11" length and paired it with the new Abu Garcia Revo Winch. I use it for my DD crank baits. Awesome set up! It will cast a mile and it's easy on the arms and hands!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:06 pm

Its definitely a nice rod for deep cranks...just disappointed mine broke so quickly! Sending it back this week. I have a curado 200e5 on mine. 8lb line and those cranks get deep!
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Sure do. That's the good thing about Duckett rods, 20 year warranty. I have 12 lb red label florocarbon and it still gets down pretty deep. So far so good, on my second cast with it I caught a nice bass on one of the deep points around BS island.

Return to “General Discussion”