Red Devil Throw Down July 29

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Red Devil Throw Down July 29

Postby Filthyfisherman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:22 am

The Red Devil Throw down for July 29, 2012 is a go!!! We are arranging the times to co ordinate with the WTB meeting at 4pm at the ramp.... We will hold the tourney from 10am launching from ramp,, to 3PM Count at Kemmo Island.. Late arrivals are welcome, but must pay before we start counting, n try to wave at me while out.. Prizes will be handed out to all participants as always!!! $10 entry per person,,,UNLESS,, all family members fishing in one boat only pay one entry free and ALL that Boats catches counts as one!!!!!!!!! Only Family boats, Father/son, Wife/husband/kids etc! A NEW TWIST to the Game!!!! No Lunker! Very easy fun tourney! No Livewell needed, Most action you'll ever see!! Earthworms are the best, but minnows work well too! A 5Gal bucket is all you need, keep your boat clean! Winners have been 30-40 RD's. New technques are being found, and the RD pop is being controlled,, With this years condition at the lake. I think this Tourney is important to our Game fish, Shad schools and the spawn was bad... Its going to be fight for food kinda deal, making them hide in ambush zones more than schooling like sharks like last year!!! Lets get some of these RD's outta the Tuc's and LM way!! %20 of the Tourney entry's will go to the Hatchery!!!!!!!!! I Had a Dream!!!! That one day,, We Will have a Florida Strain LM Bass bigger than any other in the world,, swimming in Lake Wilson!!!!!! I had a dream!! lol!

Introducing the New Lure at FF!!! A 2" swim stick!!!!!

Cris808
bass level

Postby Cris808 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:00 pm

hopefully i can attend this one

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:01 pm

Can they be donated to the food bank or sold in Chinatown to help fund hatchery expenses?
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:14 am

I don't think the Hawaii Food Ba nk is equiped for handle fresh fish, not positive on that though. I Chinatown demand seems like a likely venue.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:14 am

I don't think the Hawaii Food Bank is equiped for handle fresh fish, not positive on that though. I Chinatown demand seems like a likely venue.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:54 am

Has anyone tried cooking one yet? First hand? I've heard second hand they don't taste good but I think it's worth taking one home and filleting it maybe batter it up and test it out. I know supposedly the jaguar and Midas cichlids are food sources for thier native range. But never gave found any thing about the Midas as a food source. If I can convince my son to let me keep one for food I'm gonna experiment ;)

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:31 pm

Knud (s?) had an article in the Hawaii Fishing News a couple years ago about Red Devil/Midas cichlids as a food source. He even had pictures of the skin-on filets. I recall he said it was not bad. I imagine it being bland like Tilapia so a good to add spices to liven it up.

I KNOW! After the tournament have an "Iron Chef" style cook-off battle the secret ingredient being Red Devil! :D Who are the Iron Chefs on this forum? :wink:

ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:40 am

Just a reminder that the Red Devil Throw down for the 29th The Last Sunday of the month is still a BIG GO!!!!! We've seen many TUC's with red dots all around them!!! TUC looked spawned out, fry all over.. North to South with the Level Bottomed out like this you really get to see How many RD's there are!! And the problem areas! Just a reminder,, That Proceeds from the Throw Down go to the Hatchery! Iam trying give at least $40 to the Hatchery for each tourney, but limited numbers will do $20... We are going to start at 10am and end at 3pm,, to go straight to the WTB tourney meeting. Late entry's are welcome!! Just need give entry $ before counting!! $10 and no Lunker for this tourney...I cleaned up Kemoo island a bit the other day, glass along the bank we beach, so the end count can run smoother. Manu and I are going to continue to pick up trash with the lake being so low its easy to run up on bank and just grab stuff! (Opy) has been doing this forever! We have researched a bit for trying to sell the fish, with no luck! I will take some RD's from the tourney and Fillet Them Up! See how they taste!! The rest will be used as fertilizer for a local farmer..

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:12 am

I had a blast at the red devil tourney! Even getting in the water over an hour after others, I still caught over 30 red devils! If any of you have kids, this type of fishing will get them hooked on fishing. Over 200 red devils were harvested! I had a red devil break the line so I tied on another hook and casted back in to the same area. Got my hook back!

Return to “General Discussion”