Spinning Rods and Braided Line

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Spinning Rods and Braided Line

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:42 am

I started using braided line recently and found this story by Gary Yamamoto in his weekly news letter a great help. If you use braided line or have been thinking about trying it, you should find this very interesting. Nice pictures too. LOL
Stan

Google: Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits
The weekly news letter is called "Inside Lines"

It's free.
(the website is the only place I've been able to find those 2" Senkos too.
Last edited by Stan Wright on Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Cabodude
angler level

Postby Cabodude » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:44 pm

I just started using braided line too. I didn't know you were supposed to tie a leader to the braid. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a strong braid for heavy cover? Anybody have any expertise on this subject?

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:27 pm

To answer your question Cabodude there are times when you need flourocarbon and times when you don't. You generally don't need it when: you are trying for a reaction bite (basically anytime you are moving your lure quickly like in flipping), when you are fishing in poor visibility water, and when you are surf fishing. You should use flourocarbon when you are basically fishing clear water. Chances are if you can see the braid going to your lure, then the fish can too and sometime they will not bite. Also since braid is so thin many people use it to get alot of line capacity on the reel and use a topshot so the fish do not see the braid.

ynototony
bass level

Postby ynototony » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:59 pm

Another thing people need to consider is the guides of ur pole when using braided line. I have found if ur guides aren't metal Braided line will eventually wear a groove in them and will start to cut the line. I have actually done this to a couple poles. LOL

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:04 am

Remember, just because it's small diameter line, the breaking strength of the line is way more than enough to distroy a reel if you tighten the drag down too tight. Most smaller reels are not designed to withstand the run of a big fish with the drag locked down. It will say on the reel what size line is recomended. Don't tighten that drag down too tight if big fish are around.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:00 pm

Forgot to mention one thing. With briad DO NOT set the hook hard. A quick jerk is all that is needed. If you go for a power hookset you WILL break your rod. It may not happen the first time, or the second time, but your rod will evantually snap if you do not tone down your hooksets. This is because briad does not stretch.

Cabodude
angler level

Postby Cabodude » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:21 am

Thanks for all the information guys! It is greatly appreciated! :D

Return to “General Discussion”