Bass Boat Restoration

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Tue May 08, 2012 7:48 am

Very Nice Work!!!!! The boat looks great!!!! Like the colors! Very good job bra!!! Can't wait to see it out there!!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 am

You've given that old boat a second chance to continue service. Great job!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue May 08, 2012 1:14 pm

That boat looks amazing! Do you do this type of stuff for a living? The flake looks nice!

I damaged my boat trailer a couple of months ago. Was fishing a BFL tournament and ended up getting stuck on the side of my house on my way to the tourney(I overlooked the rain from the week and parked the boat and trailer on a downslope in some grass). Ended up digging myself into into 2ft ruts from my 4 wheel drive ( tires just kept spinning). The only way I could get out was to put the pedal to the metal. The ruts I had got stuck in led my trailer right into the corner of my brick house. Also ended up hitting the boat a little cracking the fiber glass a little bit in the top part of the gunnel. Got a quote for the repair on the fender and it would cost more than getting a new one from the factory due to the flake and gel coat...I guess painting the fender would be about 50 hours of work...approximately 10 coats! I didn't notice the cracks on the gunnel until about a month later when I was detailing it...but it appears to be getting worse.....time to file an insurance claim.

Took 2 tons of dirt to fix my yard.

Nice flake! That's what got me thinking about my boat trailer :)
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

KIA68
master baiter level

Postby KIA68 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks! Hope to have this thing ready for the next Red Devil Throw Down!...

No I don't do this for a living..i wish I did though..kinda fun.. I've been watching some youtube videos to learn a few things and have had help from some friends.

Sucks to hear about your damaged trailer and boat..it won’t be an easy job because you need to re-flake and clear coat the whole area or part..Can’t really just do one small area..Who cares about the damaged house, get the boat fixed!! :lol:

Can't seem to find any used motors, so looks like I’ll have to buy a new one this weekend.. :twisted:

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed May 09, 2012 3:14 pm

We all know you really wanted a new motor in the first place :)

One thing I do know about new motors is it's not good for them to be idling all the time when you first get em. Not quite sure how you'd get around that without taking it in the ocean though. Maybe go up past morgans and open it up on the straight away. During the week when there is less traffic.

Dont know for sure if the same concept applies to 4 stokes but i would assume it does.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

KIA68
master baiter level

Postby KIA68 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:57 pm

OK..I think I am about done!!! Got everything setup and ready!! a little trailer repair and painting tomorrow and I should be ready for a test run this weekend...Got my motor finally!!! Went with a 30hp Mercury :lol:

See you out there soon!!! :P

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Looks awesome. Don't forget the bottle of Champagne to break over the bow at first launch. ;)
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:02 am

Hopefully the 30 HP will have enough grunt to get the boat up on plane. I know motors can't get real expensive real fast, but I think with that size boat, a 50 HP would be the minimum. Let us know how it does.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Jesse
bass level

Postby Jesse » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:07 am

the right prop on your boat can make a difference!

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:54 am

My 14' aluminum Sears skiff would fly with 18hp but I'm sure it was lighter than your boat. I personally think 30hp should be more than adequate for a boat your size.
Technically all you need to do is 5 mph anyways. :wink:

Location: The Wahiawa Public Fishing Area includes a portion of the privately-owned Wahiawa Reservoir (Lake Wilson) in the central portion of Oahu.
Prohibited
To operate a boat exceeding 18 feet in length, or for purposes other than fishing, or at speeds in excess of five miles per hour, or constructed of material other than wood unless provided with flotation to render the boat unsinkable.
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regulated_ar ... ml#wahiawa
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Looks great, nice work!!
Crash

KIA68
master baiter level

Postby KIA68 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:45 pm

Today was First launch!!!!!....thought I would sneak out around 11am with little ramp traffic.. ended up being busy.......... able to meet James, Jeff, and Roadwarrior(forgot name)......... :roll:

Took a 1hr break-in spin................

Went around to check things out when I seen some busting action>>>>

The wifey was driving so I decided to throw out the first lure....the first cast on the new boat.....!!! The First cast......no joke, first cast,,,,, and what...boom!! Fish on!!!..... First Cast and I hook into a monster!!!!!.....no, it wasn't a monster, it was a dink!!! oh well...first cast in new boat ended up being a fish!!!!

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:35 am

i think you just found the name for your boat hahaha "FIRST CAST" great job on the rig your gonna get a ton of fun outa it, and i had a 40 hp on a similar rig and its way more than adequate for the lake, bit small for the ocean but bass boats don't do so good in the ocean anyway. sounds like a great start to a long relationship hahaha

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 am

Congrats on your sucessful maiden voyage! I have not had the pleasure of meeting you yet. Hopefully today I'll get out on the lake.

Return to “General Discussion”