When the water recedes

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

djverve05
master baiter level

When the water recedes

Postby djverve05 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:44 pm

Finally got my Bass Pro order in today. Love Bass Pro, but their shipping really sucks compared to other online stores. I'm really looking forward to trying my umbrella rig i.e. Alabama Rig. Got some KVD 1.5 Sexy Shads. I also got a wide variety of Shaky Head worms as well. I guess the water level should drop within a week to 2 weeks so I guess I'll have to wait until then. I'm sure the water is very muddy and murky right now as well from both the rain and the raw sewage that spilled into the lake. On another note has anyone heard what the results of the Biologist findings in his visit last week?

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:00 pm

Yesterday, I received my reel that I ordered on 2/21. Yep, their shipping sucks. The reel is the new Johnny Morris Carbonlite baitcaster. I had waited since December for it to be in stock. Least expensive 5.9 oz reel on the market and seems pretty well built. But, being the tackle geek that I am, I already tore it down completely and re lubed the entire reel! I'll get to test it out when the water clears up.
Please report your impressions of the Alabama Rig.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:07 pm

I've thrown the A-rig a little bit. I can definitely see the potential. I'm going to try fishing it more like a spinnerbait tmw. Throw it around docks cover. It's pretty amazing how life like it looks. Initially I thought with all that wire it would detract from the natural look of the swimbaits, but it doesn't. It's pretty cool seeing all the baits move together in-sync. If you pop your rod tip, everyone of the baits kicks the same. Or if you kill it, they all just start falling together(I realize it's physics but it's so unique) I have yet to dedicate much time to it. I've caught a few strippers on it but I've only thrown it at schooling fish. Hoping it works out tmw! Only bad thing about this rig is if you get hung up.....well it's a pretty expensive loss. I've had mine now for about 4 months but just haven't really gave it a fair shot.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Wahiawa Fishing Regulations:
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regulated_ar ... ml#wahiawa

Permitted
To fish with hook-and-line with not more than one lure or baited hook or two artificial flies attached to a single line, provided that on weekends and holidays only one line may be used, and on weekdays other than holidays two lines may be used.

I wonder how this umbrella rig fits in. :?:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:27 pm

My interpretation is that the Alabama rig is pretty much illegal if used in Lake Wilson. I suppose you could rig it with hookless swimbaits except for the trailing swimbait as that is the one that is most often hit. Other than that, they are not legal. Thanks for posting up the facts Ji.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:08 am

Good thing I'm not in HI! These are my thoughts on the rule:

1). It's a catch and release lake for the bass and tucs, so why does it matter how many lures you use simultaneously if you're throwing the fish back anyways.

2). (This isn't a really good way to look at it, just being honest) Who's gonna know? I'd be suprised if anybody in a position to enforce this rule would ever be in a situation to do so. I fished Lake wilson pretty regularly from 2005 to 2011 and saw DNR out there maybe 4 or 5 times and they were just doing surveys during the HFFA tournaments to see what people were catching, they never even asked to see my permit or license. Also be suprised if they were aware of the hook/lure rule.

3). I personally would just go ahead and follow the rules and not use it. I also don't see how it's going to hurt anything. Even if you were allowed to keep the fish you'd still be required to follow the limits allowed for each species.

4). Maybe there is a concern of foul hooking fish, but this happens with just about anybait with two or more trebels.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:03 pm

:shock:
I remember years ago we had a hard time convincing the powers that be.... why we should be allowed to have more than ONE rod and reel on the boat at any one time.

It took a lot of convincing that we were only fishing ONE rod at a time. You know, one light spinning rod with a cast master lure, another rod with a swim bait, another heavy rod with plastic worm, another weight rod rigged with a topwater lure... another with a spinner bait and heavy line.

They could not for the life of them understand why we should have more than ONE rod on the boat. Why do you have to switch lures all the time?
:roll: :roll: :roll:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:24 pm

DLNR is run by bureaucrats and crooks not fishermen: http://www.khon2.com/mostpopular/story/ ... yMX4g.cspx

Here's a stupid example quoted from regulations:
Weke and ‘Oama
Minimum size 7 inches
Bag limit 50 ‘oama (‘oama are weke under 7 inches)
HAR 13-95

Minimum size 7 inches, `oama bag limit 50, `oama are under 7 inches thus making them illegal to catch. DLNR has their head up their `okole.
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regulated_fish_mfv.html[/img]
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:00 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am not related to this scum bag stealing money from the DLNR boating funds! No Relation!!!! At all!!!

GaBoy
angler level

Postby GaBoy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:26 am

Never understood the rule that you can't have a dead fish in your possession. If fishing in a club tournament and a fish goes belly up you should still be allowed to weigh it in and take a weight penalty like the other tournaments in the mainland do. Club rules have to abide/align with DNR regulations. Dumbest rule I've ever heard of. Club events should have a waiver.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:24 am

I'm "guessing" that rule is in place because of our catch & release law. If one didn't want to abide by the catch & release, they could just keep the fish out of water till it died, then they could legally be in posession of it, bypassing the catch & release law. I understand where you're coming from when it comes to tournement rules, but I doubt the law will change to accomidate club fishing tournaments. DLNR cannot supercede State law.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

GaBoy
angler level

Postby GaBoy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:36 pm

If catch & release is the rule then technically no one is suppose to keep a fish all day and weight it in at end of a tournament if I understand you right. What would it matter if you kept a live or dead one all day if you still released it after being weighed? That's why it doesn't make sense to me. You can keep a live one in a live well but if it goes belly up you can't bring it to the scale so you just throw it over board for Turtle bait. Breaks my heart for them to die but it happens and it is especailly hard when it is a 2+ lb'er. :cry:

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:21 am

Stan Wright wrote:They could not for the life of them understand why we should have more than ONE rod on the boat. Why do you have to switch lures all the time?
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Simple...ask them to play their next round of golf with the wedge only :wink:
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 am

Ahnkochee wrote:DLNR is run by bureaucrats and crooks not fishermen: http://www.khon2.com/mostpopular/story/ ... yMX4g.cspx

Here's a stupid example quoted from regulations:
Weke and ‘Oama
Minimum size 7 inches
Bag limit 50 ‘oama (‘oama are weke under 7 inches)
HAR 13-95

Minimum size 7 inches, `oama bag limit 50, `oama are under 7 inches thus making them illegal to catch. DLNR has their head up their `okole.
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regulated_fish_mfv.html[/img]

I never understood that clause as well...yeah, pretty lolo. :lol:
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

Bozu
bass level

Postby Bozu » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:50 pm

I believe the DLNR rule about not having more than two artificial flies on one line pertains to the Floater and fly rig that we all use on the Lake.
Back in the 1960's the ol floater and fly rig was the go to set up to catch
Tucs. Well, people got greedy and they would attach 3-5+ flies
aka. damashi on their rigs. Pop that wooden floater thru a schools of tucs
and those 5 flies look just like a pod of fleeing shad. Tucs just couldn't resist attacking en masse. Lots of people abusing the bag limit on Tucs back then.

Bozu

Return to “General Discussion”