Should we go Fishing?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Should we go Fishing?

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:41 am

:shock:

Water is a foot deep going over the spillway...Click to see water lever graph.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/hi/nwis/uv?cb ... o=16210000

Water looked like a mud puddle at the ramp and north bridge...
although it was clearer near the dam. But covered with floating
grass, sticks, logs, and other trash.

Lots of people fishing yesterday, but from the reports I heard so far,
only a few bass were caught....

Any word from anyone out there?
What do you think, is it worth going out?

Water at Fish Park

Paper Bark

Kunia Point

The "camp" across from County Yard.

Lots of floating grass to tangle in your lure.

North end of Kemoo Island was under water, that's the dam through the trees.

Aquatic Resources was out doing a fish count... Fishing was "SLOW",
weren't gathering much information.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:07 am

personally with the threat off lightning id say hell no, i have been caught out on the water in bad lightning storms and its a humbling experience if not terrifying. also the water going up so fast is gonna shut down all the fish for a bit, wait till it stabilizes for awhile and it could get really really good, but its gonna take a week or so for the color to improve and the fish to acclimate.

grl0218
angler level

Postby grl0218 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Drove along Lake today, Looks Super High :) all this rain sure it great. Man I haven't posted here in a year I think.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:14 am

WOW :shock: the water sure is high! I remember years ago when Bob Kincaid's boat went over the spillway during high water like this.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:54 am

Looks like you need to bust out the flippin sticks and dark colored creature baits. And flip the heaviest cover you can find. You gotta hit the same spots repeatedly to get em to see your bait.

TheAlohaBoy
bass level

Postby TheAlohaBoy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Where does all the water go after the dam. And what happen to the person who went over the dam. Thats sounds scary.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:14 pm

The water continues to Waialua (Otake Camp) then on to the ocean. Going over the spillway is pretty much unsurviveable.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

TheAlohaBoy
bass level

Postby TheAlohaBoy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:18 pm

The dam...... So is it like a huge drop? Like a real dam holding back water but over flowing on top?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:19 am

Um,....yea, its like a real dam alright. :lol: About an 80' sloped drop.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:46 am

Bob Kincaid was a regular contributor to the Hawaiian Fishing News his column dealing specifically with fishing freshwater especially Lake Wilson. This column was called "Kincaid's Country". He was an excellent writer and most knowledgeable about fishing Lake Wilson. He went fishing one day at the lake but didn't return that evening so his wife notified the authorities and after finding his car and trailer still parked at the ramp they performed an exhaustive search of the lake to no avail until some bothered to look over the spillway to the bottom of the dam and found his shattered boat down there, and him a little while later. If I recall correctly the autopsy revealed his cause of death as a heart attack so he was already gone before he and his boat went over the spillway. He went while doing what he loved to do most. I hope when my time comes up I'm doing the same. There was a move to rename the lake "Lake Kincaid" but I don't recall whatever happened to that.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:47 pm

although i didn't know him personally and was too young and not into bass fishing so much back then, i recall his articles in the fishing news. my father and i ran into him a couple of times at the ramp and under the trestle south of the ramp, always positive and eager to pass on knowledge. when i got into bass fishing much more seriously we always referred to kemo'o island as kinkaid island. i know the saddle was one of his favorite spots. the water going over the dam is not to be trifled with, thats a lot of force and a long way down.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:05 am

If your like me and thought well maybe can sneak out before the next storm. Well apparently a power outage dumped 7000 gallons of raw sewage into the lake last night. Between that and the wind muddy water and in comming storm think its time to do a honeydoo list instead.

Return to “General Discussion”